What's new
What's new

Strategy for Weight Reduction of Aluminium Plate

PM2.5

Plastic
What is a good strategy for weight reduction of an aluminium plate, 25mm thick x 750mm dia.
Have to make the plate shown in the image lighter and I believe machining diamond shapes out of it is a good way forward. Could anyone point me in the right direction for good engineering practices?
It's sitting on a Weiss indexer and doesn't have much weight on top of it.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-10-01 202904.jpg
    Screenshot 2020-10-01 202904.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 267
You could machine any shape you want into/out of the plate. Don't think it much matters, but I would put a generous corner radius in any holes/slots etc to reduce stress risers (if that would matter for your application).

Consider warpage if that matters, with many aluminum sheets, rolling stresses can remain such that cutting large amounts of material from one side (even with a grid remaining) can still allow the plate to warp. If you don't need a flat surface on one side, balanced pockets cut in both sides will minimize this risk, at the cost of extra setup and machining.

Whatever shape you settle on, please, for pity's sake, do not design it with small (1-2mm) radius corners. That adds greatly to the machining cost for marginal additional weight savings.

Regards.

Mike

Yup, ISO Grid.

1602076644282537-0.png

1602076636585559-1.png

Still gotta watch for flatness/warpage.

Back