What's new
What's new

Stupid questions on Fanuc lathe wear comp and tool offset cancel

huleo

Hot Rolled
I used CAM for this last lathe part I did and I don't think I used our most recent post so the code was a little generic. When I tried to input a wear value in the wear tables, the program would hang up when it hit the tool offset cancel line.

Tool is called in start of program as T0606, then after its done, there is a T0600.

Maybe a better question would be if the offset cancel needs to be there at all? I about got in trouble when I restarted from a M00 I put in and the damn control did not pick up the tool offset from above. I cannot recall, does the tool cancel have to be done before a G28 or will G28 override all that? I do NOT like extra codes in a program that are not needed on a control.

T0600 will leave it on tool 6 and cancel just wear or wear and geometry together, depending on how the parameter is set.

G28 will reference return to home position ignoring the offset.

I generally cancel the offset with a T0 at the end of each tool (after the G28 W0).

Did it just hang, or did it alarm?

Would help to see the code and know the series of fanuc...

Yes, I understand what the T0600 should do, but I was not expecting a hang up. Program did not alarm, just hung there. This a Fanuc OT control.

Just to get the job done, I zeroed out the wear comp table, and changed the geom value and it ran fine so adding the value in wear certainly pissed it off.

I used CAM for this last lathe part I did and I don't think I used our most recent post so the code was a little generic. When I tried to input a wear value in the wear tables, the program would hang up when it hit the tool offset cancel line.

Tool is called in start of program as T0606, then after its done, there is a T0600.

Maybe a better question would be if the offset cancel needs to be there at all? I about got in trouble when I restarted from a M00 I put in and the damn control did not pick up the tool offset from above. I cannot recall, does the tool cancel have to be done before a G28 or will G28 override all that? I do NOT like extra codes in a program that are not needed on a control.

I always canceled them before the g28 but I dont think thats your problem.

If I am reading this correctly your restarted the program from a m00 and then had the problem. theres a few codes that could make it hang if it finish. as you said you like short code. but somethimes you may need to add extra code so that you can start the machine from the M00 in that position of the program.
if I recal there where things that could make a ot control hang with out an error.
one of them was a g01 with out a feed rate , g90was also one along with g94 ie going from IPR to IPM then not cancling out the IPM.

usually if your in doubt you can going into the MDI page and type in your code you think is a problem. if its a problem MDI will hang and you have to hit reset before you try another code.( rdy light should come on after you hit cycle start for the mdi code you used)

I hope that all makes sence as I dont think I am explaining it correctly
with out seeing the code its hard to say what it really is. could be something really simple. I doubt it has to do with the tool wear offset.

is this control older than 1990?

Just for the heck of it do you have a parts counter on this machine? that will cause a problem like you described, with no msg and usually just a indcator light that could be burnt out

There is no doubt the wear comp is doing something. my only guess is wear comp needs killed before the tool or something like that. The whole program does NOT fail to run, it will go do its thing but as soon as that T0600 comes up, that is the line it sticks on. I am sure it will happen with any other tool, I just happened to be using that one.

I need to see what the other guys were doing with the machine and what our other programs look like but that machine primarily runs Aluminum low qty so I think it just gets setup, runs parts, then onward.

Maybe we should be clear and I might need to check something. Assuming your tool is worn and you need to move X-, would this control want a + or - value in wear? Maybe I threw the wrong sign in there...... Would that hang it?

After the M00, I put a T0606 just to ensure the offset was active. I think I have realized that old control won't look backwards.

There is no doubt the wear comp is doing something. my only guess is wear comp needs killed before the tool or something like that. The whole program does NOT fail to run, it will go do its thing but as soon as that T0600 comes up, that is the line it sticks on. I am sure it will happen with any other tool, I just happened to be using that one.

I need to see what the other guys were doing with the machine and what our other programs look like but that machine primarily runs Aluminum low qty so I think it just gets setup, runs parts, then onward.

Maybe we should be clear and I might need to check something. Assuming your tool is worn and you need to move X-, would this control want a + or - value in wear? Maybe I threw the wrong sign in there...... Would that hang it?

After the M00, I put a T0606 just to ensure the offset was active. I think I have realized that old control won't look backwards.

Hello huleo,
No Fanuc control ever looked backwards, irrespective of its vintage. Even when programmatically searching for a sequence number, it searches forward and if not found by the end of the program, continues the search from the start of the program forward.

With regards to your minimalist approach to programming, the most fool proof programs are those where the code for each tool operation can be run as a stand alone program. Accordingly, repeating a tool operation is a simple matter of searching for the sequence number at the start of the code for the tool of interest. Only the start of each new tool has a sequence number, except where a cycle requires sequence numbers, with the number sequence corresponding with the numerical order of the operations that make up the whole program, ie N1, N2, N3, etc. for the respective operations 1, 2, 3, etc.

It may help the Forum help you with your issue if you were to list the code in your program.

Regards,

Bill

Just for the heck of it re-enter your T0600 into the same spot. maybe someone has a letter "O" in there and it looks like a 0.

again with out seeing the program the issue would be impossible to trouble shoot.

Like angelw
"With regards to your minimalist approach to programming, the most fool proof programs are those where the code for each tool operation can be run as a stand alone program. "

And there I thought laying a straight edge on the machine would be enough.....

How do we get around the gayness, litlerob1?

Just use the Geometry offsets, instead of "wear". In my limited experience, when I index a used Insert, I have to offset the Tool anyway. So keeping a record of wear offsets is useless to me. Or gay.

R

Why even cancel the offset? It is going to be over ruled by the next tool change or M30 anyway, so no need to cancel it.

Just use the Geometry offsets, instead of "wear". In my limited experience, when I index a used Insert, I have to offset the Tool anyway. So keeping a record of wear offsets is useless to me. Or gay.

R

They're handy for turning tapers.

OP, I've had that happen on a Fanuc 11T and Fanuc 10T and adding another T0600 or whatever on the next line fixes it (or hitting reset and start). It's something to do with how the control handles cancelling the wear offset and I've never bothered to figure out exactly what it is.

.....The whole program does NOT fail to run, it will go do its thing but as soon as that T0600 comes up, that is the line it sticks on. I am sure it will happen with any other tool, I just happened to be using that one. .......

When it hangs, is "FIN" displayed somewhere on the very bottom line of the screen?

They're handy for turning tapers.

OP, I've had that happen on a Fanuc 11T and Fanuc 10T and adding another T0600 or whatever on the next line fixes it (or hitting reset and start). It's something to do with how the control handles cancelling the wear offset and I've never bothered to figure out exactly what it is.

Hello isaac,
Much of what you have suggested is potentially dangerous and very parameter dependent. Pressing Reset in Memory (the OP is not saying that he wants to go back to the Start of the program, so I assume you're meaning to hit Reset and Start in Memory Mode) will not take the program back to the Start and depending on parameter setting, will cancel the current Work-shift and or set a default Work-shift (set via parameter) as current. Pressing Start may then be starting the program from its current position with the wrong Work-shift in play. Unless the program has been assembled with each tool operation being autonomous and the program is started from the start of the Tool Operation, then the potential for disaster is high by pressing Reset then Start.

The OP's program is halting at a T code with the Tool Offset cancelled (T0600 for example). Accordingly, how is adding the same code to follow that which has stopped progress of the program going to help?

How are Wear Offsets handy for turning tapers? Are you suggesting something like the following?

G00 X40.0 Z10.0 T0101
G01 Z1.0 F1.0
G01 X40.0 Z-60 T0121

Where Wear Offset 21 is different to Wear Offset 01 in X by the taper over the length of 61.0mm

If so, this is also a dangerous general comment to make, if any reader of this Forum were to take the comment as relating to all controls, as Offset and how they are applied is very parameter dependent. If both the Geometry and Wear Offsets are set via the Lower Order numbers of the T Code, then the Geometry as well as the Wear Offset will be swapped in the above example. The difference in Geometry Offsets can be huge with potentially devastating results if swapped by the Lower Order numbers of the T code in a program example such as shown above.

Regards,

Bill

Back