Sub Plate recommendations - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by wheelieking71 View Post

There's more money in Orange there than most of my shop is worth!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Fal Grunt View Post

There's more money in Orange there than most of my shop is worth!!!
    Really? I'll trade em' to you for your Brother!

3. Likes Fal Grunt, TeachMePlease liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well... the last three I made were 5086 1"
    A bit better than 6061, little harder.
    This is good for the fasteners, which are in constant use, and of coarse... the harder alloy is less prone to being scratched and dented in the process of loading and un-loading.
    No match to 7075... but practical.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    North Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Orange is makin sub-plates, check out their Instagram. Haas VF and Speedio plans with lots of ball lock couplings included. I think they are hard anodized aluminum.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I really must figure out the instagram thing. I keep hearing about places with stuff on instagram, why don't these places put the same information on their website? Are websites old fashioned now? Or how does that work? When I want to know what a company offers for sale, I go to their website.

Anyway... Got 1.5" mic 6 quoted, $269 for a plate to cover my work area in between my dividing head and tailstock. $413 to cover the full table.

Called the supplier for 7075 twice and left a voicemail, still no response... so I guess that's out.

Really the cost of the aluminum is minor compared to the ball locks and receivers. My idea is, as production grows, I want to have a plate that I can swap out my two station vices for the mini vices that Orange is coming out with. Sometimes the big vices are just too clumsy for some of the small parts I make.

My idea for the whole table plate, would be fixturing so that as I adjust my tail stock, I have marked locations, say 1" increments or whatever the travel on my tailstock is. It also gets my tool setter further out of the way and up at the same height as the rest of the work.

7. Likes wheelieking71 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    North Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I really must figure out the instagram thing. I keep hearing about places with stuff on instagram, why don't these places put the same information on their website? Are websites old fashioned now? Or how does that work? When I want to know what a company offers for sale, I go to their website.

Anyway... Got 1.5" mic 6 quoted, $269 for a plate to cover my work area in between my dividing head and tailstock. $413 to cover the full table.

Called the supplier for 7075 twice and left a voicemail, still no response... so I guess that's out.

Really the cost of the aluminum is minor compared to the ball locks and receivers. My idea is, as production grows, I want to have a plate that I can swap out my two station vices for the mini vices that Orange is coming out with. Sometimes the big vices are just too clumsy for some of the small parts I make.

My idea for the whole table plate, would be fixturing so that as I adjust my tail stock, I have marked locations, say 1" increments or whatever the travel on my tailstock is. It also gets my tool setter further out of the way and up at the same height as the rest of the work.
    I can’t speak for them, but for myself, I use IG to keep customers up to date on production status without spamming their email. I also try to gauge interest on new products that way.

I think the latter is how Orange uses it. Once it becomes a product they seem to put it on their website like the Twin Delta pallets and single station vise.

BTW they also have a mini vise coming out in a few configurations that will use a single ball slot and couple of locating pins. So the Orange sub plate seems like it might become very versatile.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just a thought on mounting vises; now that Orange has the countersunk insert option, I see no reason to use their Ball Locks any more. I canít even see a time savings. You already have to use pins to locates the vises and the Ball Locks are just to hold them down, so why not just drill pin holes to locate and threaded holes to bolt the vises down and use their countersunk inserts. This would save you so much time, money, headache, and you could go thinner on the plate if needed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by droshi View Post
    I canít speak for them, but for myself, I use IG to keep customers up to date on production status without spamming their email. I also try to gauge interest on new products that way.

I think the latter is how Orange uses it. Once it becomes a product they seem to put it on their website like the Twin Delta pallets and single station vise.

BTW they also have a mini vise coming out in a few configurations that will use a single ball slot and couple of locating pins. So the Orange sub plate seems like it might become very versatile.
    I guess I could see if you have enough followers, I still donít understand the search terms. If I type in widget123 into google, you get a list of companies that make widget123. How does someone find you on Instagram to be able to respond whether they want something or not, or is that all based on followers?

The mini-vise was what prompted this all. Currently it is only going to be offered with a ball lock. I talked to Eric and said I hope he will offer it with grooves or hold downs or something so it can be bolted.

Quote Originally Posted by DethloffMfg View Post
    Just a thought on mounting vises; now that Orange has the countersunk insert option, I see no reason to use their Ball Locks any more. I canít even see a time savings. You already have to use pins to locates the vises and the Ball Locks are just to hold them down, so why not just drill pin holes to locate and threaded holes to bolt the vises down and use their countersunk inserts. This would save you so much time, money, headache, and you could go thinner on the plate if needed.
    I was talking with a machinist friend and we had decided that drill bushings and tapped holes were a better investment. The ball locks look great, Iím sure are lightening fast, but it would take a LONG time to recoup the investment of $400/vise

But, again we come back to the mini vise. If they offer it with counter bored holes that would be a huge plus. If all they offer is the ball lock. . .

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    North Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I guess I could see if you have enough followers, I still don’t understand the search terms. If I type in widget123 into google, you get a list of companies that make widget123. How does someone find you on Instagram to be able to respond whether they want something or not, or is that all based on followers?
    I don't have many followers, for me it's just like an email subscriber list, except one that doesn't go to junk mail and is easier for people to opt in/out. You can also gauge response by likes and comments, emails people don't really respond to. Social media stuff isn't for everyone or every customer, many have told me they just don't do IG, which is fine...it's not really about customer acquisition (at least for me) as it is just on updates (sometimes just fun trials of random stuff).

But I don't expect any new customers really find me on there.

[QUOTE=Fal Grunt;3335544The mini-vise was what prompted this all. Currently it is only going to be offered with a ball lock. I talked to Eric and said I hope he will offer it with grooves or hold downs or something so it can be bolted.

I was talking with a machinist friend and we had decided that drill bushings and tapped holes were a better investment. The ball locks look great, I’m sure are lightening fast, but it would take a LONG time to recoup the investment of $400/vise

But, again we come back to the mini vise. If they offer it with counter bored holes that would be a huge plus. If all they offer is the ball lock. . .[/QUOTE]

Yeah I don't personally need the modularity that the ball locks offer. Once I have something setup, it would probably stay that way. But it's hard to have the Orange system, need a sub-plate, and not go with their new sub-plate coming out. On the VF2 it looks like it had space for 4 dual station vises (8 ball locks) and costed $2k with all ball lock hardware included. You could say that makes the sub-plate cheap, or the ball locks cheap (or all vise-versa), but to me it seems like the best solution at a price that isn't bad for a commercial offering. Of course, rolling your own is always possible and just buy or make 1 or 2 ball lock stations, but I have found things like that to be way more effort and hassle than the dollars end up being worth.