What's new
What's new

Sub prime sale from my material supplier.

gundog

Hot Rolled
I get an email list once a week from my material supplier where I get my SS & AL and have been buying a fair amount off this list I just ordered some bar stock that says water stained for .73 a pound. I find the material to be in better shape than some of the stuff I buy that is not on sale. I much prefer water stains as opposed to scratched to hell. I normally buy .375" x 2" 6061 bar stock for a product I make but they had some .375" x 2.5" for .73 normally I pay $2.54 a pound and all the parts get tumbled anyway. I wonder if this material is coming from an area that flooded and was paid for by an insurance company? I don't really care it machines just like the expensive stuff so far. I will check on this batch to see if it is marked with the mill it came from.

Mike

I get an email list once a week from my material supplier where I get my SS & AL and have been buying a fair amount off this list I just ordered some bar stock that says water stained for .73 a pound. I find the material to be in better shape than some of the stuff I buy that is not on sale. I much prefer water stains as opposed to scratched to hell. I normally buy .375" x 2" 6061 bar stock for a product I make but they had some .375" x 2.5" for .73 normally I pay $2.54 a pound and all the parts get tumbled anyway. I wonder if this material is coming from an area that flooded and was paid for by an insurance company? I don't really care it machines just like the expensive stuff so far. I will check on this batch to see if it is marked with the mill it came from.

Mike

Water stained on the boat ride over. They probably just bundle up a couple of tons on the deck and don't even bother with a container.

Water stained on the boat ride over. They probably just bundle up a couple of tons on the deck and don't even bother with a container.

I don't think that is the case the last sub prime stuff I bought that was water stained has the Kaiser Aluminum water mark those were .5" x 3" 6061 and it was about the same price per pound.

I got my material in today this batch is marked Hydro 6061. I just got a call back from my supplier Hydro bought out SAPA it is made right here. Sapa had a lot of test issues so they were bought out by a bigger company. I have several custom extrusions made for me by SAPA so now those will be marked Hydro. I did have problems several years ago with some of my custom extrusions being too soft and they took them back and brought me new material but I have not had any problems in the last few years.

Back