Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

+1 on the Big Kaiser FCR and FCM tools. Used those in aluminum and steels. CosmosK, I can see how you would want something like that for those 'shelfs' on your parts.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gkoenig View Post
    I have some pretty great experiences with the Big Kaiser FCM (Square) and FCR (Corner Radius) inserted cutters. They are Big+ short length integral holders - so a one piece affair. They are extraordinarily stable in all cutting conditions. I have one cut .2" deep doing a profile around an odd shaped part, maxing out at about .5" WOC. She eats this cut at 400IPM in series production with no issues. Surface finish is good enough that bead blasting brings it right into Class A status.

It has quickly become my favorite indexed cutter. It has a wide variety of insert grades available, but the aluminum grade comes in that nice rainbow colored uicorn blood coating, so they last forever. Best part? Misumi sells them for $250 which is a smokin' deal, especially given that you don't need to also buy a $150 holder.

Full Cut Mill (FCR Type Standard) | DAISHOWASEIKI | MISUMI USA
    I never would have thought to look on Misumi for cutting tools, very cool! Inserts are 350/10 pack however.

I know it's a better setup, but I'm always considering the crash scenario. Part of me thinks a M12 or M8 connection might snap before it trashes the spindle, but that might be wishful thinking. I just chipped all three corner off my $100 reduced shank 3/8" end mill the other day with a minor programming error. Apparently it didn't want to cut a full slot 1/4" deep sticking out 2.5"

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gkoenig View Post
    I have some pretty great experiences with the Big Kaiser FCM (Square) and FCR (Corner Radius) inserted cutters. They are Big+ short length integral holders - so a one piece affair. They are extraordinarily stable in all cutting conditions. I have one cut .2" deep doing a profile around an odd shaped part, maxing out at about .5" WOC. She eats this cut at 400IPM in series production with no issues. Surface finish is good enough that bead blasting brings it right into Class A status.

It has quickly become my favorite indexed cutter. It has a wide variety of insert grades available, but the aluminum grade comes in that nice rainbow colored uicorn blood coating, so they last forever. Best part? Misumi sells them for $250 which is a smokin' deal, especially given that you don't need to also buy a $150 holder.

Full Cut Mill (FCR Type Standard) | DAISHOWASEIKI | MISUMI USA
    Thanks for posting the source. I buy a lot from Misumi. Never had a clue they sold indexable cutters.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CosmosK View Post
    I never would have thought to look on Misumi for cutting tools, very cool! Inserts are 350/10 pack however.

I know it's a better setup, but I'm always considering the crash scenario. Part of me thinks a M12 or M8 connection might snap before it trashes the spindle, but that might be wishful thinking. I just chipped all three corner off my $100 reduced shank 3/8" end mill the other day with a minor programming error. Apparently it didn't want to cut a full slot 1/4" deep sticking out 2.5"
    Check with your local Yamazen Tooling Division rep. They support the Big Kaiser tools and perhaps can do better on the pricing. I don't think the M12 or even the M8 would help with crash protection. I think those screw on tools can give you some versatility though regarding being able to use different cutter heads and different length adapters etc..

5. Likes CosmosK, gkoenig liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Wsurfer View Post
    Thanks for posting the source. I buy a lot from Misumi. Never had a clue they sold indexable cutters.
    What are the advantages with ordering from Misumi. I am not too familiar with them. I looked a little but seems hard to just find a 1/2 x 1.0 loc Endmill. Settings seem to be stuck in metric mode. Maybe I am doing something wrong.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maine
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by fmari --MariTool- View Post
    What are the advantages with ordering from Misumi. I am not too familiar with them. I looked a little but seems hard to just find a 1/2 x 1.0 loc Endmill. Settings seem to be stuck in metric mode. Maybe I am doing something wrong.
    In Japan, they are a lot like McMaster, they sell everything.

In the US, they are primarily known for their configurable components. If you need a shaft with a given ground OD and length, a tapped hole on one end and a threaded shaft on the other, they will make it for you, relatively inexpensively, and it will be there within a week. They are starting to bring more of the standard parts over to the US, which is nice. They are one of the few easy sources for weird japanese stuff like grease guns, which use a very different (much nicer, in my opinion) cartridge style than american grease guns.

Their inch selection is minimal to non-existant, but finding a, for example, 12mm endmill is easy. Their search and refinement functionality is probably second to McMaster in my opinion.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I guess not neccesarily an advantage, just I'm new to this and haven't seen them for sale in my various searches, as well as ISCAR bt30 indexibles. I probably just don't know where to look. I can download catalogs, but no where to click "add to cart".

I ordered probably 40k $$ of motion control components and extrusions from misumi in the last year, but never looked for tooling.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

...I looked a little but seems hard to just find a 1/2 x 1.0 loc Endmill. Settings seem to be stuck in metric mode. Maybe I am doing something wrong.
    I just checked that website out. Looks like they have inch cutters, but you have to do the metric conversion yourself, lol.

Click the "+" sign on the 12.0-12.9 dia in the left pane. Then select 12.7 from the choices.

Prices are ridiculous, from what I saw.

I do like that integrated indexable with the big plus holder. That looks pretty sporty.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BROTHERFRANK View Post
    Check with your local Yamazen Tooling Division rep. They support the Big Kaiser tools and perhaps can do better on the pricing. I don't think the M12 or even the M8 would help with crash protection. I think those screw on tools can give you some versatility though regarding being able to use different cutter heads and different length adapters etc..
    I normally would, but the Misumi price on these cutters is ~40% off list, the discount is so deep, I almost think it is an error. Like this has been lurking in the catalog and someone forgot to update the pricing over the years.

Their insert prices suck. I called my local tooling place and ordered from them for about $100 less. Does blow you need to buy a 10 pack, but that is a lifetime supply in 6061.