What's new
What's new

Suggestion Needed for 0-1 Digital Micrimeter

munruh

Hot Rolled
One of my employees cannot seem to learn how to read a micrometer. For a number of reasons it is worth it for me to keep him on. I do need a good 0-1 digital micrometer for him though. Are there any suggestions for digital micrometers?

My favorites are the Mitutoyo electronic ones. Very repeatable, very reliable in my experience. Last shop I worked in had them by the dozens, very well used, but held up better than the Starrett equivalents. Ratchet or friction thimble are my preference, but the ratchet stop works well too. I just like the mechanism on the thimble instead of sticking out the end. Makes them easier to pack in a Kennedy drawer too.

My favorites are the Mitutoyo electronic ones. Very repeatable, very reliable in my experience. Last shop I worked in had them by the dozens, very well used, but held up better than the Starrett equivalents. Ratchet or friction thimble are my preference, but the ratchet stop works well too. I just like the mechanism on the thimble instead of sticking out the end. Makes them easier to pack in a Kennedy drawer too.

Another vote for Mitutoyo. Apparently they have one that reads into the 5 millionths now. The 50 millionths ones are pretty good value though (120ish on Amazon?).

http://www.amazon.com/Mitutoyo-293-...9&sr=8-1&keywords=mitutoyo+digital+micrometer

Another vote for Mitutoyo. Apparently they have one that reads into the 5 millionths now. The 50 millionths ones are pretty good value though (120ish on Amazon?).

Mitutoyo 293-340 Digimatic Outside Micrometer, 0-1" Range, 0.00005"/0.001mm Resolution, IP65, No Output, with Ratchet: Mitutoyo Digital Micrometer: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

$114.75 on McMaster. A friend told me none of his reps could get him a better deal than what McMaster-Carr is already selling them for. I found that interesting.

The video on the 5 millionths mic is pretty cool, when you can measure in your hand something that changed dimensions... because it's in your hand!

$114.75 on McMaster. A friend told me none of his reps could get him a better deal than what McMaster-Carr is already selling them for. I found that interesting.

The video on the 5 millionths mic is pretty cool, when you can measure in your hand something that changed dimensions... because it's in your hand!

Amazon is free 2 day shipping for me. Being in Atlanta, McMaster gets here the next day, but the shipping would send it over the Amazon price. I could justify it if I was running a decent order through McMaster though. Thanks for the heads up.

Yeah, I was drooling over how he measured a difference in the center of the gage pin and the tip when the 50 millionths one couldn't pick it up (I think we are talking about the same video?). It's completely overkill for anything I do though, and that includes the 50 millionths one as well.

EDIT: Just checked McMaster, and the one you are looking at only goes to tenths and not the 50 millionths.Here's the one I linked on Amazon on McMaster: http://www.mcmaster.com/#2054a53/=soyo2a , it's 20 dollars more.

Yet another vote for the Mitutoyo. I've got the coolant proof 50 millionths one, and it's great. It gets calibrated twice a year, very repeatable, clear readout, good carbide faces. Oh, and I've only recently replaced the battery in it, after about 2 years of daily use.

Yet another vote for the Mitutoyo. I've got the coolant proof 50 millionths one, and it's great. It gets calibrated twice a year, very repeatable, clear readout, good carbide faces. Oh, and I've only recently replaced the battery in it, after about 2 years of daily use.

The battery has lasted forever in all of my Mitutoyos. That, and I love the refresh rate and clarity of the LCD. Nice and fast.

The battery has lasted forever in all of my Mitutoyos. That, and I love the refresh rate and clarity of the LCD. Nice and fast.

My digital caliper is still on the original battery... But I use the mic a lot more than the caliper.

My go to mike for 1" work is a Brown & Sharpe Tesa 30mm mike.For every thing else I have Mitutoyo coolant proof 50mil.You can't go wrong with either one plus the inch ,mm switch ability is an added bonus.

Amazon is free 2 day shipping for me. Being in Atlanta, McMaster gets here the next day, but the shipping would send it over the Amazon price. I could justify it if I was running a decent order through McMaster though. Thanks for the heads up.

Yeah, I was drooling over how he measured a difference in the center of the gage pin and the tip when the 50 millionths one couldn't pick it up (I think we are talking about the same video?). It's completely overkill for anything I do though, and that includes the 50 millionths one as well.

EDIT: Just checked McMaster, and the one you are looking at only goes to tenths and not the 50 millionths.Here's the one I linked on Amazon on McMaster: McMaster-Carr , it's 20 dollars more.

Well it was the lite version, but Mitutoyo lists that model number as reading in .00005 increments, although does not have the lock or extra functions, and yes personally I'd always go for the 293-340 over the 293-831. Your link is cheaper for that model, I concede :o

Digimatic Micrometer Series 293 MDC-MX Lite

Coolant Proof Micrometer Series 293-with Dust/Water Protection Conforming to IP65 Level

My favorite (of some 12 micrometers I have in the 0-1" range) is my Mitutoyo 293-344. It's got the "ratchet-friction" thimble, unlike any other on the market that I'm aware of. It's just a slight "ratchet" like feel in what otherwise appears to be a friction thimble.

Stone reliable, IP65 rating, .00005" resolution.

I like them also and they are always very good quality. I also use the Absolute digital calipers also and will rarely use my non digital s . Coolant proof is the only way to go.

Guys,
Nice thread, been thinking about getting a new mike for a couple years now. Just put in an Amazon order, should be here next week.

I should replace my 35 year old 6" digital caliper as well. It's old Mitutoyo before they had auto shut off, it keeps eating batteries. Are the solar ones any good? I would hate to wait for it to charged after taking it out of a dark box before I could use it. Any model number recommendations.

Thanks for the nudge,

Craig

There is no real good reason to buy a solar powered caliper imo (unless you wish to be completely batteryless for some treehugging reason), as the batteries in the newer mitutoyo calipers (and even 20 year old ones) last over a year, sometimes two, possibly 3 if only occasional use. Even when buying cheapo 99 cent store batteries, battery life is pretty good.

As for digital micrometers, mit's digitals are great. I suggest not bothering with the mitutoyo quick-mic (digital mic that allows you to turn the thimble only once to completely close it), because they don't feel like normal mics at all, and that bothers me. I'm not saying they aren't accurate (I believe they are 50 millionths too), but they just don't feel right :p

For my real fussy stuff - I also really like the Brown and Sharp unit mentioned above.
Mine doesn't say "Tesa" on it, but ....
0-30mm range and it is insulated in plastic - so your hand shouldn't effect it so much. (???)
The friction work really nice (ergonomic)

One of my employees cannot seem to learn how to read a micrometer.

I absolutely hate "traditional" mics. Everything here up to at least 4" and maybe 5" has the mechanical digital (odometer style) on them. (including depth mics) And when I hafta mic something bigger - I compare to a pr of calipers. It is way too easy to be .025" off on "traditionals".

I have had an old chum (70 yrs old?) that had been a toolroom guy much of his life helping me out on a big job when I first started. (I worked with him at the last job) He brought his own tools, and I really cringed about letting him use his "traditionals", but I didn't say anything. He made something (I don't recall what - a shaft of some sort.. ???) .025" undersize.

I have sent production parts out for grind, and got them back exactly .005" undersize since the number on the dial read nominally with what the print was calling for.

Sure - I was upset each time, but no more than I would have been at myself for dooing the same. If I was using those tools - I would highly expect to be off my fair share, and maybe more. ??? Yes - I can read traditionals as well as any of you, but sometimes you can get a number in your head and think that you are right - or many times I question the position of the barrel to the correct .025 mark.

With the odometer style, no batts, and you aint guessing. You still have the traditional marks to fine tune to. You can spend all week trying to get the odometer and the barrel to agree 100%, so as long as the odometer is within .0005 or so, you can use the barrel marks to get spot on.

This style was recommended to me when I bought my first set of mics. My boss bought them and I pd him back "X" amount every week. I was by far the best tooled person there - better than the shop it'self. Which ended up being part of the reason that I left, but ...

I am still using the same set of mics <27 yrs later. I have added more and replaced one that was lost. Found it melting out of the snowbank on the way to the house the next spring. Now I have two of that size!

I too like the simplicity and accuracy of the electric digital mics, but they don't last as long. For G/P work, I like the odometer style.

Craig:

35 yr old Digi calipers?
As in made in the 70's? :skep:

--------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

For a number of reasons it is worth it for me to keep him on.

I have a guy like this. My main reason for keeping him on is he never complains and just has a good attitude in general. He'll try doing something he hates/struggles with and won't give up until you tell him to. And I've never heard him complain about anything, which is pretty good.

Matt

Sometimes it is much easier to work with someone lacking in skills with a good attitude than someone greatly talented with a bad attitude. Skills can be taught with time and patience. Bad attitudes are contagious and will try your patience.

--Gary

Actually I need a 1-2 also, what would be the comparable model number for a 1-2 that compares with the 0-1 micrometer 293-340? Thanks

Back