What's new
What's new

Supermax Rebel Spindle unidentified hose...

hackish

Plastic
I'm looking to buy this SuperMax Rebel 1 DOM 1995. The seller doesn't know much and it has sat for 5-6 years. In the photos sent, I see one thing that concerns me, and I don't know what I'm looking at:

spindle.jpg

I feel like this is an oil supply line for the spindle. The seller sent a video and the spindle seems to spin quietly, but I wonder if it is possible that some part (filter or something) was removed years ago. Years of sitting have covered the machine with lots of shop dust, so it don't expect it was recently touched. Maybe it's an air line?

Any ideas what this is, what it does or where it should go?

Thanks

We have a similar vintage Max1 and it looks similar but not exact. That line coming out of the back of the meter box should be the coolant supply line and should attach to the ball valve on the manifold in back of it in the picture. Should be a couple coolant ports on the bottom of the manifold for lock line or what have you. IIRC there's a lot of stuff passing through that box.

I'm looking to buy this SuperMax Rebel 1 DOM 1995. The seller doesn't know much and it has sat for 5-6 years. In the photos sent, I see one thing that concerns me, and I don't know what I'm looking at:

View attachment 311839

I feel like this is an oil supply line for the spindle. The seller sent a video and the spindle seems to spin quietly, but I wonder if it is possible that some part (filter or something) was removed years ago. Years of sitting have covered the machine with lots of shop dust, so it don't expect it was recently touched. Maybe it's an air line?

Any ideas what this is, what it does or where it should go?

Thanks

You can still get parts for them and YCI is very friendly and should be able to get you manuals or copies.

swarfmeister is correct its a Coolant line, mine also have a air blow system on it

That little box with the oil level sight glass and motor on top is your reduction gearbox oil supply motor. There should also be a drain coming out of the gearbox and back to that reservoir.

When wiring in and starting up your machine for the first time, and then turning on the spindle, pay immediate attention to this motor and make sure the oil level starts dropping right away and soon after oil starts returning in the return line. If you get this one right, your coolant motors and all others should be running the right direction also. Though never hurts to double check. My point being is you do not want to run the spindle long with this motor running in the wrong direction. Just FYI.

BTW - no need to worry about the spindle reversing direction if you swap a pair of 3 phase lines to get your pumps running correctly. The control doesn't care which way the machine is wired. It will always turn the servo and spindle motors the right way regardless.

Last edited:
That little box with the oil level sight glass and motor on top is your reduction gearbox oil supply motor. There should also be a drain coming out of the gearbox and back to that reservoir.

When wiring in and starting up your machine for the first time, and then turning on the spindle, pay immediate attention to this motor and make sure the oil level starts dropping right away and soon after oil starts returning in the return line. If you get this one right, your coolant motors and all others should be running the right direction also. Though never hurts to double check. My point being is you do not want to run the spindle long with this motor running in the wrong direction. Just FYI.

Also dont run that spindle with out a tool in the spindle. The max's used a collet style fingers in Drawbar, I dont remember if they switched to balls.
The draw bar and all parts are avail from yci/ycm or what ever they call it now. Last I talked to them was 3 years ago they had a few warehouse's full of parts for the older machines. Including X Y saddles. They were just starting to inventory and put all there parts in the CA warehouse as they had moved. lots of parts were coming from there overseas warehouse to the Ca place.
Like I said really cool and helpful people.

I had sold mine about 3 years ago

I've been pleasantly surprised at how good the support for this machine is. Some of the control parts are becoming unobtanium, but support on the mechanical side has been pretty solid. When I started here a little over three years ago, high speed on the spindle didn't work, the spindle clamping was flaky and the tool changer subsequently was broken. Both the spindle shift and the clamping are air over hydraulic, and needed attention. Once I got the spindle clamping fixed, we repaired the tool changer. All in all it's been a nice machine. Box ways, holds about .0005 and gets a lot of work pushed through it. If he's still around their tech guy, Larry Divis was just a ton of help over the phone.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I decided to move forward with purchasing the machine. The little hints will be very helpful when I wire it up. I did reach out to YCM and as others have said, they were very helpful, sending PDF versions of all the manuals. My main concern has been to ensure the mechanical parts of the machine are in good shape. I can modify and redesign practically any electronic or controller parts, but I can't imagine any cheap fixes if the spindle were bad.

Back