What's new
What's new

Surprised by Price Difference of Different Machine Models

Nerdlinger

Stainless
I got a quote for a Brother S700 and S500...the 500 was only $1,000 less! I thought it was a mistake! I went to the Haas website and the price difference between a VF1 and VF2 is only like $2,500. I just never knew!

I believe it because I imagine the main difference is shorter ball screws, a few pounds less of sheet metal, and a somewhat smaller table. I suppose I guess I could see how the COST to manufacture the machine is only slightly less but I just would have thought they would HAVE to either charge less for the 500 or more for the 700 from a value perspective. But what do I know!

I guess I’m just surprised!

When I purchased my S500s they were significantly cheaper than my S700. But I think to some degree it'll have to do with what they've gotten volume orders for. If Apple or Huawei are using 700s in their new factory buildouts, that'll be the one with volume. Or if Yamazen brought a bunch of one model in before the dollar tanked and the other after.

But yeah, all the expensive stuff is the same, minus a few inches of casting and a few inches of linear rail in one axis only.

Nagoya, Japan. Similarly equipped Speedio S300, S500 and S700 machines are within about $3000 of each other. Similar meaning: 21 Tool, 16k rpm, CTS (TSC) package... The S500 is also stocked in the US as a 14 Tool, 10k rpm, non-CTS machine which is about $10k less than the 21T, 16K CTS package version. On top of that, occasionally there may be special priced demo or clearance inventory. I find that it really comes down to floor space. If a shop has more floor space and wants more job shop type flexibility, they will go with the S700. If machines are spec'd out for a specific production cell, they will often use the 500 or 300 size machines. The 300, 500 and 700 are all built on the same casting. Difference is table size on S700, ball screw, linear guide and way cover length on all three in X axis and outer sheetmetal.

When I was first shopping for Speedios at the old shop the 500s were MORE expensive than the 700s. Go figure LOL.

Its nice when dealers well post there prices online so sellers can make a choice ,,, I really liked that I could look up all of Haas machines and most of there parts right on line , It made it super easy to compare models and even how you wanted the models outfitted ... and best of all it makes it so you don`t have to deal with a salesman .

Its nice when dealers well post there prices online so sellers can make a choice ,,, I really liked that I could look up all of Haas machines and most of there parts right on line , It made it super easy to compare models and even how you wanted the models outfitted ... and best of all it makes it so you don`t have to deal with a salesman .

Seriously, right? When I found a local window place that sold a quality product and let me compare prices and features on their website instead of having to get quote after quote after quote... With machine tools I have often asked for the "Star Wars" quote where they list basically every option available and prices so I can figure out what is worth it to me and what isn't. I have great relationships with a lot of these guys but man, it would be nice to play around with pricing and then get a quote or look into floor models and specials, etc.

The worst is hearing the "well I could have done better" after you buy somewhere else. Bring your A game on pricing, I DON'T HAGGLE, I look at a number and decide if I'm willing to pay it for what I'm getting.

Back