What's new
What's new

"Swiss-Army" 1-2-3 Block: The Multi-Purpose Machining Tool!

DIYProjectKits

Plastic
Link to our fully-funded Kickstarter, only ~8 hours left!

Original post on the r/machinists subreddit

Swiss-Army 1-2-3 Block.jpg

Hopefully this is allowed! My wife and I are excited to say that our first product design has reached and even exceeded our funding goal on Kickstarter! Not a huge accomplishment, because we set a relatively attainable goal of $1,000, but we learned a lot and had to put in a lot more effort than we thought in order to even reach that small amount! This was a great learning experience, as will be the production & delivery phase. As of this posting, there are roughly 8 hours left to back it, so if any of y'all want one for yourself/someone else, please feel free to back the product at whatever level suits you best.

What exactly is a "Swiss-Army" 1-2-3 Block?:

It is a multi-purpose Machinist/Metalworking tool for all ages! This all-in-one tool contains the functionality of at least 6 distinct tools:

1. 1-2-3 Block. Blocks are accurate to 1.0000" x 2.0000" x 3.0000", +/- 0.0002"

2. Drill/Tap Guide. Use one of 8 precision-reamed holes as a tap guide on flat, round, or oddly shaped stock. Holes are sized to work with 16 of the most common Metric & SAE tap sizes, interchangeably.

3. V-Block. Use one of two V-Grooves on the block to securely clamp round pieces of stock in a vise for manual or machine operations. Two perpendicular V-Grooves allow for quick & easy horizontal or vertical part orientation. Groove are ideally located for use with standard 4- & 6-inch machine vise jaws.

4. Bench Block. Use the block as an anvil when driving pins in or out. Additionally, the holes can be used as a drill guide for both flat & round pieces of stock.

5. 1/4" Hex Driver. The magnetically-retained 1/4" Hex Drive turns this block into a venerable arsenal of tools, by allowing you to use a myriad of standard-sized tool bits, including: screwdrivers, drills, chamfer bits, deburring tools, socket adaptors, & more!

...and last but not least...

6. Bottle Opener. Bottlecaps removed using this tool suffer from ZERO deformation, due to the wide 1" contact surface of the block, which disperses the opening forces over the entire face of the bottlecap - a handy addition for bottlecap collectors!

Several backers have suggested custom blocks, matched sets, etc., so if you want something slightly different, let me know and we'll make it happen!

Not appropriate for this site. six post and you contribute nothing yet try to get free advertising for a novelty item. Want to sell here become a contributing member with something more than hobby advise or buy an advertising slot.

Link to our fully-funded Kickstarter, only ~8 hours left!

Original post on the r/machinists subreddit

View attachment 310756

Hopefully this is allowed! My wife and I are excited to say that our first product design has reached and even exceeded our funding goal on Kickstarter! Not a huge accomplishment, because we set a relatively attainable goal of $1,000, but we learned a lot and had to put in a lot more effort than we thought in order to even reach that small amount! This was a great learning experience, as will be the production & delivery phase. As of this posting, there are roughly 8 hours left to back it, so if any of y'all want one for yourself/someone else, please feel free to back the product at whatever level suits you best.

What exactly is a "Swiss-Army" 1-2-3 Block?:

It is a multi-purpose Machinist/Metalworking tool for all ages! This all-in-one tool contains the functionality of at least 6 distinct tools:

1. 1-2-3 Block. Blocks are accurate to 1.0000" x 2.0000" x 3.0000", +/- 0.0002"

2. Drill/Tap Guide. Use one of 8 precision-reamed holes as a tap guide on flat, round, or oddly shaped stock. Holes are sized to work with 16 of the most common Metric & SAE tap sizes, interchangeably.

3. V-Block. Use one of two V-Grooves on the block to securely clamp round pieces of stock in a vise for manual or machine operations. Two perpendicular V-Grooves allow for quick & easy horizontal or vertical part orientation. Groove are ideally located for use with standard 4- & 6-inch machine vise jaws.

4. Bench Block. Use the block as an anvil when driving pins in or out. Additionally, the holes can be used as a drill guide for both flat & round pieces of stock.

5. 1/4" Hex Driver. The magnetically-retained 1/4" Hex Drive turns this block into a venerable arsenal of tools, by allowing you to use a myriad of standard-sized tool bits, including: screwdrivers, drills, chamfer bits, deburring tools, socket adaptors, & more!

...and last but not least...

6. Bottle Opener. Bottlecaps removed using this tool suffer from ZERO deformation, due to the wide 1" contact surface of the block, which disperses the opening forces over the entire face of the bottlecap - a handy addition for bottlecap collectors!

Several backers have suggested custom blocks, matched sets, etc., so if you want something slightly different, let me know and we'll make it happen!

I imagine you are paying a royalty to the swiss army............

Im going to be the asshole.
this is the stupidest thing I have seen. it has to be a joke. or your just an idiot.
you have a block ie 123 block great but your using that same block as a bottle opener, a vblock in a vice, and a drill guide. Basically a hammer a bench and pry bar. so much for a 1 2 3 block holding .0002.

and on top of taht you couldnt come up with $1000 bucks to make them
Dumbass

Im going to be the asshole.
this is the stupidest thing I have seen. it has to be a joke. or your just an idiot.
you have a block ie 123 block great but your using that same block as a bottle opener, a vblock in a vice, and a drill guide. Basically a hammer a bench and pry bar. so much for a 1 2 3 block holding .0002.

and on top of taht you couldnt come up with $1000 bucks to make them
Dumbass

I was trying to exercise some self control :D

What happened to the other "I present..." thread here in the CNC forum?

I posted a reply yesterday... Today - *poof* - Vanished, Gone...

1- Lose the bottle opener. S-T-U-P-I-D

2- There is some utility here. Some.

2b - Trouble is, there are other, better items avaialble on the market.

3- IF this is going to be made in the USA, I just might buy one. I'm all for made in the USA, and people trying to make their own go of business.

4- If this is just a fund-raiser, so that you can have it made in the far-east, then just get lost please...

qt;[The side opposite the bottle opener should have a USB port!]

Then if you should use it out in the wilderness do you need to bring batteries?

Will the Snot Beer bottle opener still work if batteries are low?

Will it work with Budwiser beer?...or do you gotta buy one just for that kind of beer?

Oh and that we have two threads on this, will we need two different sets of instructions?

What happened to the other "I present..." thread here in the CNC forum?

I posted a reply yesterday... Today - *poof* - Vanished, Gone...

I sent a message to the HMFC's and maybe one of them took just enough effort to do a drive by and kill off one of the post. I said there were 3 but you see how far that went.

Per *selling point* #2. Precision reamed holes for tapping guides interchangeable between SAE and metric... hrrrm.... 5/16 and 8mm are close enough but 6mm and 1/4" (for example) 1/4" will be fine, but 6mm will be loose enough to not bother using a "tap guide interchangeable with 1/4" " and vice/versa with 10mm and 3/8"... but it's the hobby crowd, so close enough, eh? :willy_nilly:

Per *selling point* #2. Precision reamed holes for tapping guides interchangeable between SAE and metric... hrrrm.... 5/16 and 8mm are close enough but 6mm and 1/4" (for example) 1/4" will be fine, but 6mm will be loose enough to not bother using a "tap guide interchangeable with 1/4" " and vice/versa with 10mm and 3/8"... but it's the hobby crowd, so close enough, eh? :willy_nilly:

Well, if you watch the little video where the tap wallows around in the hole and then magically goes in straight without being guided by the reamed hole at all, and magically doesn't make any chips...

You don't need a guide to tap a hole that already has threads :D

If you could find soft taps you might just hammer whack them through the guide holes. Oh wait! ..they don't make soft taps..darn.

If you could find soft taps you might just hammer whack them through the guide holes. Oh wait! ..they don't make soft taps..darn.

Sure they do. I have a whole bunch of soft form taps. Hundreds of every size. Socket head cap screws, hex head bolts, etc.

If you drill the hole a few thou undersize, you could probably wack em in and they would stay. Self tapping press fit screws. I think I found a new market niche.

Back