Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jashley73 View Post
    Quite frankly, I'm disappointed in the majority of responses to this young man.

Sure, his product idea has some gimmicky traits that would rightfully be scoffed at by a group of professionals.

But on the otherhand, we have someone with some ambition, wanting to make some real, tangible "thing", hopefully here in the USA, and sell it for a profit.

Good Lord people, but if ever there's a time where we need to be encouraging young people who seem interested in manufacturing, it's right freakin' now...

If anyone is wondering what has happened to, and what is wrong with the PM forum - look no further than this thread right here...
    Was thinking the same thing yesterday.

Some of you have been on here a really long time and seemingly enjoy the opportunity for a home shop guy to not read the forum rule just to publicly berate him. Many of you guys I have learned a lot from over the years- so I say this with all due respect. Grow the fuck up.

2. Likes charlie gary, DrHook liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Sure, his product idea has some gimmicky traits that would rightfully be scoffed at by a group of professionals.

But on the otherhand, we have someone with some ambition, wanting to make some real, tangible "thing", hopefully here in the USA, and sell it for a profit.

Good Lord people, but if ever there's a time where we need to be encouraging young people who seem interested in manufacturing, it's right freakin' now...

If anyone is wondering what has happened to, and what is wrong with the PM forum - look no further than this thread right here...
    Encouraging bad behavior ???

Please.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Politely disagree. If he/they had said "here's my idea, whatcha think from PROFESSIONALS who might be interested?"

Instead he *invents* this thing and wants to sell "blueprints" that any one of us could figure out just by looking at it. Directed at hobbyist, maybe... And sure, I have no problem with a multi-function tool/block, but FFS don't cram every idea you have into it! Maybe a 1x2x3 block with a pattern of tapped holes, and one single V in it, then another block that mates to that hole pattern, with a tap guide or something...

I would expect if I invented some hokey attachment for your gun (which I know nothing about) then tried to sell blueprints on a gunsmithing forum I would be beat up too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So the kid is naive, but he's at least taken some initiate to do SOMETHING.

He's taken his lumps. Hopefully he's not totally put off, and sticks with it to see the fruits of his labors, thus far at least.

Regardless if his first "invention" is a game-changer or not, we need MORE machinists in this country, not less. Better yet if they have some commercial success too.

Perhaps I've just reached a breaking point, but it sure would be nice to see people begin encouraging others again.

6. Likes Bobw, CarbideBob, eaglemike, yardbird liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If someone has a bad idea, you should tell them. If you want to encourage a youngster who has 'invented' something, teach them about revisions/edits/redos and don't throw a ticker tape parade over iteration 1.

Many inventors have wasted their lives, their money, their relationships, over ideas they thought were great and that others just didn't have the balls to tell them it was a steaming pile of shit. Ever watched Dragons Den...for many of them it's the first time they've heard there idea sucks while all of us watching can smell the stink through the tv.

Not saying this 123 block is a pile of shit, it's just not great and way too gimicky. If people wanted/needed a bottle opener in their 123 blocks, Suburban Tool would already have included one that is ground to within 0.00005" that could be used to indicate off of when using their compound sine plates

To the 'youngster' wanting to make these blocks, spend your time on something else. Make something shops will use. When you hit a winner and start getting orders 10-100x what you'd get for this gimicky block, you'll thank your prior self.

8. Likes charlie gary liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How about a 123 block that can remove a broken tap? Thats something I might be interested in...

10. Likes primeholy, TeachMePlease liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mmurray70 View Post
    How about a 123 block that can remove a broken tap? Thats something I might be interested in...
    You take any 123 block, use it as a hammer to knock the part with the broken tap out of the vise, then load a new piece of stock.

You can paypal me my $5.

12. Likes Hardplates, Dualkit, Bobw, mhajicek liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TeachMePlease View Post
    You take any 123 block, use it as a hammer to knock the part with the broken tap out of the vise, then load a new piece of stock.

You can paypal me my $5.
    Have you not learned anything from all these threads? You need a kickstarter, not paypal

14. Likes digger doug, Dualkit, g-coder05 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Final proof would be to make one and put it on ebay with a long jargon of how useful it is and see if someone will buy it.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Pretty sure Venmo is the cool way to send funds these days.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Booze Daily View Post
    Pretty sure Venmo is the cool way to send funds these days.
    You forgot Zelle, Cashapp, and FB Pay. Don't forget Apple Pay, too.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Its funny everyone assumes he is a youngster, I think it's mentioned he has a wife.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BoscoDrummer View Post
    Its funny everyone assumes he is a youngster, I think it's mentioned he has a wife.
    I think it's funny that you assumed married (even with children) denotes "older"...

20. Likes Jashley73 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    I think it's funny that you assumed married (even with children) denotes "older"...
    Well at least we know older than 18 at the minimum because marriage. There is no age limit with having children (at least not in the biological sense)

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If that poor sole is married with children and the 123 block is he best he can come up with you guys should send him some cash to pay his bills...the least you can do.

The only reason I wont help is because I don't want to.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BoscoDrummer View Post
    Well at least we know older than 18 at the minimum because marriage. There is no age limit with having children (at least not in the biological sense)
    Pretty sure you can get married as a minor with parents consent

Country
    SOUTH AFRICA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    I like it !
    Goes with this one:
    Homemade Welding Electrode Holder - HomemadeTools.net
    They actually expect people to pay money for these "plans"....
    Waaait.... What did I just click on??

Country
    PHILIPPINES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Originally Posted by digger dougI like it !
    Goes with this one:
    Homemade Welding Electrode Holder - HomemadeTools.net

They actually expect people to pay money for these "plans"....

Hah, The fact that has 70K views and the guy has 160K subscribers tells me that electrode holder made a lot more money on Youtube than the 123 block did on Kickstarter.

And how about that OD grinding work with a cordless drill and a 4" angle grinder???