SwissMak Anyone Know What Happened - Page 15
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think that back at the stamping plant, it seems like we had some tracing paper type stuff that was s'posed to be maybe .0005?

I honestly have no clue what good it was tho.
    Obviously it wasn't strong enough to doo anything with, other than shim up your Opp Manual a bit....

-----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    I think that back at the stamping plant, it seems like we had some tracing paper type stuff that was s'posed to be maybe .0005?

I honestly have no clue what good it was tho.
    Obviously it wasn't strong enough to doo anything with, other than shim up your Opp Manual a bit....

-----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    That is still thicker than .01mm thick that the OP claims to check parts with.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Harrington View Post
    Hmm, the 0.01mm snuck past me. That's 4 tenths!

The thinnest feeler stock I'm aware of is 0.001"

Just handling a 40" piece of Al would probably move it more than 0.01mm over 40".
    We had .0005" shim stock. We ran the Kraft green plastic lids that you break out the crescent
    opening. When the break test was to high, we would add a .0005" shim, too low or a leaker in the water test, take one out.

That stock you could tear like paper, I would like to watch someone shove it under a block of aluminum.

4. Likes Ox liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Who remembers VWFullcup........Generic Default---->VWfullcup........

6. Likes MotoX, TeachMePlease, Garwood liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Toolroomguy View Post
    That stock you could tear like paper, I would like to watch someone shove it under a block of aluminum.
    Tried it, ended up with a hell of a cut.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It is a good story of modern making and money. I hoped for gd to succeed with good bruises of learning.. And finding competent bizz help. Sadly he sought investors, which will push for offshoring to reduce assets to zero, also will have very good for them terms on divorce from company. Gd is now thrust into starting a factory from scratch, wil see none of the benefits, and all the risks. Still a modern real time story of bizness of manufacturing.
    If he went thru legit incubator/library service they would have helped set up small angel money and manufacturing engineer services (which an angel won't touch a product without that). A me would never tell them to get a new vmc, or anything other than a proof of concept "toy". Machining parts for production is competitive enough to not bring it in house if not one of his core skills. All accounts the core is design and software. Spending capital on panel shop and assembly space (Cubework has space in la...) still walks away with more working capital than spent on machine.
    The investors own all now, the al parts will be scrapped at new place. Hopefully used for shims spacers and practice parts, because being green is important.
    Also a me would've laughed at no motors or power supplies made here. My mill has aneham steppers and imported Powervolt power supplies. Gecko drives... Batting 1000 so far against that statement of "impossible". I feel sorry that they went down the road of lazy, when for less headache and a few more scars they could've succeeded.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by memphisjed View Post
    It is a good story of modern making and money. I hoped for gd to succeed with good bruises of learning.. And finding competent bizz help. Sadly he sought investors, which will push for offshoring to reduce assets to zero, also will have very good for them terms on divorce from company. Gd is now thrust into starting a factory from scratch, wil see none of the benefits, and all the risks. Still a modern real time story of bizness of manufacturing.
    If he went thru legit incubator/library service they would have helped set up small angel money and manufacturing engineer services (which an angel won't touch a product without that). A me would never tell them to get a new vmc, or anything other than a proof of concept "toy". Machining parts for production is competitive enough to not bring it in house if not one of his core skills. All accounts the core is design and software. Spending capital on panel shop and assembly space (Cubework has space in la...) still walks away with more working capital than spent on machine.
    The investors own all now, the al parts will be scrapped at new place. Hopefully used for shims spacers and practice parts, because being green is important.
    Also a me would've laughed at no motors or power supplies made here. My mill has aneham steppers and imported Powervolt power supplies. Gecko drives... Batting 1000 so far against that statement of "impossible". I feel sorry that they went down the road of lazy, when for less headache and a few more scars they could've succeeded.
    What the hell, are you drunk?

10. Likes yardbird liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    What the hell, are you drunk?
    Methinks English is his second language.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I wonder how this thing will do when the temperature rises over 69°f

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Harrington View Post
    Methinks English is his second language.
    I think in 3d, and spell creatively.

14. Likes Ox liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ready to sell the DNM? I'll come pick it up when you are ready to cut your losses....

16. Likes 2outof3, Garwood liked this post
    Country
    PHILIPPINES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dstryr View Post
    Ready to sell the DNM? I'll come pick it up when you are ready to cut your losses....

Too late, I already emailed Ellison. It's financed and upside down.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by g-coder05 View Post
    Wot, he shipped it to Australia? Or was it just knocked over when trying to load it in the cargo container?

19. Likes memphisjed, TeachMePlease liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by g-coder05 View Post
    I'll have to ask my local rep if she can get me this one when it gets repoed LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milland View Post
    Wot, he shipped it to Australia? Or was it just knocked over when trying to load it in the cargo container?
    He means he owes more than its worth lol. New the machine is $125k or so... not worth more than 80 now....

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That's public info?

You sure that should be left up there?

--------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

23. Likes barbter, triumph406 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cmccull166 View Post
    Who remembers VWFullcup........Generic Default---->VWfullcup........
    If I remember correctly the only similarity was the know it all ego and the young age. Cup had a melt down on PM and became very insulting toward everyone. GD has only been mildly insulting trying to maintain his composure to combat the negative press as he doesn't want to chance that one of his next "investors" will read anything where he looks bad. I had ran across posts about Cup on other forms where he was known as Speng. He did take some people's money and not follow through, making piles of excuses, but I always remember them as nickle and dime jobs. He just ripped people off for a couple $100 here and a couple $100 there. GD has taken almost $200k that we know of and not delivered.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If I remember correctly the only similarity was the know it all ego and the young age. Cup had a melt down on PM and became very insulting toward everyone. GD has only been mildly insulting trying to maintain his composure to combat the negative press as he doesn't want to chance that one of his next "investors" will read anything where he looks bad. I had ran across posts about Cup on other forms where he was known as Speng. He did take some people's money and not follow through, making piles of excuses, but I always remember them as nickle and dime jobs. He just ripped people off for a couple $100 here and a couple $100 there. GD has taken almost $200k that we know of and not delivered.
    Taken? People play the lottery and I would not call them taken. Bad investments are much more common than those that pay off.

26. Likes SND liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 2outof3 View Post
    Taken? People play the lottery and I would not call them taken. Bad investments are much more common than those that pay off.
    Those people paid money for a machine which showed prototypes demonstrated. How you compared that to playing the lottery is beyond me. They weren't "investing" in a company stock.

28. Likes g-coder05 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Those people paid money for a machine which showed prototypes demonstrated. How you compared that to playing the lottery is beyond me. They weren't "investing" in a company stock.
    They had a chance to buy a machine form a real company like Carbide 3D but instead they took a chance on an unproven product built by an unproven company. It by definition was a risk investment since it was a Kickstarter campaign. Everyone wants a Unicorn for the price of a 16 year old ex race horse.

30. Likes triumph406, TeachMePlease liked this post