SwissMak Anyone Know What Happened - Page 27
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 27 of 38 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When I retired from motorsports in 2011, I was pretty sure I'd heard (and seen) every bizarre BS story with funky little side stories with some truth in them the world could possibly hold. (The folks who have been around "pro" motorsports will know what I'm talking about.)

I had thought this thread long dead.

I now find it allive, and well, and a bizarre huge story with the usual array of tiny supporting facts. (Such as Taiwan does in fact exist, wood exists, computers exist - that level of supporting fact.) The vapor and gyration now appears to have now exceeded the levels of motorsports.

Wow.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't see why the keyboard / password fail is so difficult to believe, the keyboard lasted me 10 years and died because I stuffed it in a luggage case too many times and the wires shredded just outside the strain relief piece. Like I said, I didn't realize that the problem was from the new keyboard sending different characters because I thought I just forgot my password. I had to get a new phone here too because the one I brought from the US was SIM locked to a US carrier, ironically you must connect through the US carrier's cell network in order to get the unlock code to be able to use other SIM cards, and connecting through wifi doesn't work. So since I've been here I've had to get a new cell phone, keyboard, and recently a new PC. Dualkit must be lucky to have such persistent electronics. Mine always seem to fail at the worst possible time.

About the software. It's not intended to be the exclusive means of programming the SwissMak, you can still take gcode from other CAM software. If you run a typical 3 axis milling program, the SwissMak will interpret it as milling the face of the part that's held in the chuck, since the XY axis is co-planar with the chuck face and centered with XY (0,0) at the center of rotation. The YZ plane is if you want to mill on on the outside of the part like you are holding it in a 4th axis on a VMC. To mill on an angled plane, you normally have to use one of the plane rotation gcodes. The software we are developing will simplify all this, since rotating planes in gcode is a pretty advanced topic that is never an issue for most milling and turning operations.

Like, suppose you want to make a part that has both turned and milled features on both the axial side (face), radial sides, and even at an oblique angle between the two. Maybe you want to threadmill a hole that is off all axes of rotation, then interpolate a circular boss around it and cut splines or gear teeth on the outside of that feature. It would normally take a long time to program this with most CAM software, if the software could do it at all. What we're making would allow such features to be parametrically programmed by just selecting the machining features and dragging and dropping them in position, with the tools necessary to complete the machining op being automatically selected and the feeds and speeds being calculated automatically based on the preset material and tool parameters.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Generic Default View Post
    I don't see why the keyboard / password fail is so difficult to believe, the keyboard lasted me 10 years and died because I stuffed it in a luggage case too many times and the wires shredded just outside the strain relief piece. Like I said, I didn't realize that the problem was from the new keyboard sending different characters because I thought I just forgot my password. I had to get a new phone here too because the one I brought from the US was SIM locked to a US carrier, ironically you must connect through the US carrier's cell network in order to get the unlock code to be able to use other SIM cards, and connecting through wifi doesn't work. So since I've been here I've had to get a new cell phone, keyboard, and recently a new PC. Dualkit must be lucky to have such persistent electronics. Mine always seem to fail at the worst possible time.

About the software. It's not intended to be the exclusive means of programming the SwissMak, you can still take gcode from other CAM software. If you run a typical 3 axis milling program, the SwissMak will interpret it as milling the face of the part that's held in the chuck, since the XY axis is co-planar with the chuck face and centered with XY (0,0) at the center of rotation. The YZ plane is if you want to mill on on the outside of the part like you are holding it in a 4th axis on a VMC. To mill on an angled plane, you normally have to use one of the plane rotation gcodes. The software we are developing will simplify all this, since rotating planes in gcode is a pretty advanced topic that is never an issue for most milling and turning operations.

Like, suppose you want to make a part that has both turned and milled features on both the axial side (face), radial sides, and even at an oblique angle between the two. Maybe you want to threadmill a hole that is off all axes of rotation, then interpolate a circular boss around it and cut splines or gear teeth on the outside of that feature. It would normally take a long time to program this with most CAM software, if the software could do it at all. What we're making would allow such features to be parametrically programmed by just selecting the machining features and dragging and dropping them in position, with the tools necessary to complete the machining op being automatically selected and the feeds and speeds being calculated automatically based on the preset material and tool parameters.

Really, no one gives a shit. Go the fuck away.

4. Likes Dualkit, Mtndew, Vancbiker, SRT Mike, Simpleton liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

ANDREW!

GD:

So - you're puting a B axis on this thing too?

... and you're going to be able to thread mill @ Y.5 B45. off a canned cycle as well?

.... AND it's on a 400# cross base?

I'm .... uh .... "amazed"(?) .

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

6. Likes 2outof3, bryan_machine, Garwood liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

........threadmill a hole that is off all axes of rotation, then interpolate a circular boss around it and cut splines or gear teeth on the outside of that feature.....

It would normally take a long time to program this with most CAM software, if the software could do it at all.

What we're making would allow such features to be parametrically programmed by just selecting the machining features and dragging and dropping them in position, with the tools necessary to complete the machining op being automatically selected and the feeds and speeds being calculated automatically based on the preset material and tool parameters.
    So if you can do all this, why don't you apply for a job at Mastercam?

I'm sure they want a person THAT talented to completely redo their software and make it infinitely easier to use.......

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I had to get a new phone here too
    And boom goes the dynamimte.
    All bases are covered now.

9. Likes Mike1974, SRT Mike, Simpleton liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ya know, I bet Taiwan has libraries where you can use a computer in a pinch......

(Prediction: GD will say he forgot his password..... )

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ChipSplitter View Post
    Ya know, I bet Taiwan has libraries where you can use a computer in a pinch......

(Prediction: GD will say he forgot his password..... )
    He already said that he never forgot it, but it had characters that only the english version was capable of creating. So he painted himself into a corner by admitting that he didn't forget it.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mtndew View Post
    And boom goes the dynamimte.
    All bases are covered now.
    LMAO! If I had his luck I wouldn't leave my house, let alone be working with machine tools!

13. Likes Mtndew, Garwood, SRT Mike liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Emojiscript program for the situation:

N1 If #GenericDefault = liar;
    N2 If # = true;
    N3 If # = true;
    N4 If # = true; GD is a scammer
    N5 If # N4 = true; Let #GD
    N6 If # = true;

N7 If #keyboard broke = false;
    N8 If # = true;
    N9 If # = true; :GOTO N5:
    END

15. Likes Dualkit liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post

Teach Me:

I didn't think the original model was s'posed to have the enclosure option at all?
    Did he say that somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by PERRY

We will still be making the hard anodized aluminum machine as well as the cast iron and steel version. Both are about the same footprint and we have an enclosure design that supports them at stomach height for ergonomics. The cast iron machine is too heavy for a person to assemble without lifting gear, so it will always come fully assembled inside the enclosure as a turn-key system. The aluminum one can come with or without the enclosure and can be assembled by 1 person on a table
    When I say Rev1 , I'm referring to the new cast iron machine. The original aluminum machine would be Rev0 in my book.

I want to see ONE of this new cast iron machine, WITH enclosure.

Perry keeps ignoring my requests to see it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    I don't even believe the story of the broken keyboard. I have been using computers at work and home all the way back to the early 80's. I bet I have touched 100 different ones at least. I NEVER had a keyboard fail on me. I am waiting for the next BS excuse. My money is on the ship carrying the Swissmaks is taken over by pirates and sunk in the middle of the ocean.
    Myspacebarwentoutonce,itwasarealpainintheass.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TeachMePlease View Post
    When I say Rev1 , I'm referring to the new cast iron machine. The original aluminum machine would be Rev0 in my book.

I want to see ONE of this new cast iron machine, WITH enclosure.

I'm a bit hesitant to put screenshots on here before we actually have the castings done and delivered, mostly because the ATC configuration has some patent-able aspects and I don't want to publicly disclose that quite yet. I was planning on finishing the physical prototype and taking photos of it with people in the frame for size reference and to show the ergonomics and accessibility of the new enclosure. I promise I'll show you photos of the real thing in the near future, but I don't want to do it today. BTW there are several ATC designs we're evaluating, one of them is a modified canted umbrella type, one is integrated with the enclosure itself, and one looks vaguely like a cartoon beehive with an ungodly number of Bt30 holders stuffed in it. I really wanna show them because they're cool, but I can't do it quite yet.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm a bit hesitant to put screenshots on here before we actually have the castings done and delivered, mostly because the ATC configuration has some patent-able aspects and I don't want to publicly disclose that quite yet. I was planning on finishing the physical prototype and taking photos of it with people in the frame for size reference and to show the ergonomics and accessibility of the new enclosure. I promise I'll show you photos of the real thing in the near future, but I don't want to do it today. BTW there are several ATC designs we're evaluating, one of them is a modified canted umbrella type, one is integrated with the enclosure itself, and one looks vaguely like a cartoon beehive with an ungodly number of Bt30 holders stuffed in it. I really wanna show them because they're cool, but I can't do it quite yet.
    Yeah, I think that sums it up......

20. Likes Mtndew, Dualkit liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mohawk Kid View Post

Perry?

Apparently you edited his name in eh?

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Country
    PHILIPPINES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

All the keyboards here are tri-lingual, which is normally not a problem except that my passwords have non-standard characters and I couldn't get the login to work.
    You’re a fucking liar. you can't go a block without seeing a Razer or Logitech keyboard anywhere in TW. I bought My Chroma keyboard, Mamba mouse and 3D Conexion enterprise cad mouse from a street vendor for $200 (Pictured below). You’re hard pressed to find a bi-linguistics keyboard in Taiwan, Wanna know why?? Because there's 80,000+ characters in the Chinese language and just to graduate High school you MUST to know 8000 minimum and then to graduate college you have to know 12,000. The English language has 26 so they prefer that much more than characters. They won't even use the Haas Chinese control covers!

I had stopped looking at this thread a few days ago just because your BS was so thick. But,,, I got an I message a few minutes ago from someone I work with when I'm in TW telling me to take a look (Let me tell you, If you get a message at 3AM from a Chinese business owner it's fkn bad). Well, I tried to tell you to shut up and not blame these people, even if it is their fault. That stupid comment about not having access to the keyboard thus not being able to function apparently raised some concerns with their customers, Along with the BS about the molds. What you fail to realize is you're driving traffic through this site and you're getting quite popular (Something you don't want in Asia). Just as a good friend of mine did a few years back (Lewis Yakich, American Engineer) who decided to bring 3D printing houses to asia. Yeah, he disappeared four years ago after shaming the construction community. Ya see, he built a 1500SF condo in 100 hours whereas local construction companies get to take months and get to bill for multiple workers labor. See it here . The Police here investigated for maybe a day, he's gone, this is Asia.

My point is now you have manufacturers in Asia getting calls from customers voicing concerns over communication problems, and if there will be a problem with getting molds/prototypes produced rapidly (TW is known for fast castings). Just a fare warning, You ARE on their radar now. Everytime you walk past one of those shops with a Purple, green, and pink cheap neon square with a fishbowl full of condoms in the window,,, Just remember, Triads are not just a fictional movie idea. Since you seemed to have visited my FB profile I guess you seen the pick of my face bashed in for hassling over a Tuk Tuk fee.

You said in your earlier post that a picture of me carrying my MP-5 was posted so you could watch for me at your door? I don't like you but I'm not out to hurt you either. I've been working SE Asia since I was 18 and you can take my advise or not. GO HOME, You’re an over confident, Arrogant Neophyte.

img_1893.jpg

23. Likes Mtndew, Dualkit liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    Perry?

Apparently you edited his name in eh?

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    Are you mOxing me?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Having founded multiple very successful startups I gotta point out that ALL entrepreneurs are by nature "optimistic" otherwise they would never start companies....I'm not entirely convinced yet that the Kickstarter sponsors are gonna get their machines, BUT I think a lot of the vitriol on this thread is way over the top. The fact that Generic Default keeps posting status means that either a) he really is trying to make this work, or b) he has hoodwinked the entire practical machinists community in the biggest troll ever, not to mention scam on kickstarter. I just don't believe the latter, too much detail.

Many many of the biggest business successes in history almost failed, sometimes multiple times....examples: Cisco, vmWare, FedEx, Southwest Airlines....the history of what the enterpreneurs did to keep these companies from failing during early years is astounding.

26. Likes Ox liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You capped it, g-coder-05 !

He was pretty much cornered on the keyboard thing, you sealed 'im in.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

With all the flack he gets here I’m surprised he bothers to post at all.
    Nobody on PM has fessed up to joining the Kickstarter campaign, so I don’t think he “owes” us an explanation for anything.
    I do wholeheartedly admit his excuses are lame, but many people that are capable of designing and making a product lack any business sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

29. Likes Ox liked this post