SwissMak Anyone Know What Happened - Page 61
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 61 of 64 FirstFirst ... 11515960616263 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,220 of 1264
  1. #1201
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Posts
    2,827
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    278
    Likes (Received)
    1545

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Radar987 View Post
    I like how it has "micron accuracy" using rolled trapezoidal lead screws.
    Anything can have micron accuracy if you measure it "right"

  2. Likes lumley32 liked this post
  3. #1202
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Mebane North Carolina USA
    Posts
    6,915
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    53
    Likes (Received)
    2120

    Default

    Might be swissmaks next competitor Vulcan Mail/Update List

  4. Likes digger doug liked this post
  5. #1203
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    21,325
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mebfab View Post
    Might be swissmaks next competitor Vulcan Mail/Update List
    The video don't show anything over 3 axis....

  6. #1204
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Posts
    439
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    408

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mebfab View Post
    Might be swissmaks next competitor Vulcan Mail/Update List
    If the "Build Team" can't be bothered to put on something besides basketball shorts and sweat pants for their launch photo I can't see this going very far.

  7. #1205
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Mebane North Carolina USA
    Posts
    6,915
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    53
    Likes (Received)
    2120

    Default

    Maybe thats the genre for makers? Like when gene haas wore a bathrobe to show off the first vf1.

  8. Likes Garwood liked this post
  9. #1206
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Hillsboro, New Hampshire
    Posts
    12,657
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2889
    Likes (Received)
    8765

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mebfab View Post
    Maybe thats the genre for makers? Like when gene haas wore a bathrobe to show off the first vf1.
    I remember reading that Gene was heavily influenced by Hugh Hefner. So it wasn't a bathrobe, it was a dressing robe*...


    *There's actually a technical difference between them.

  10. Likes rcoope liked this post
  11. #1207
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    21,325
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Milland View Post
    I remember reading that Gene was heavily influenced by Hugh Hefner. So it wasn't a bathrobe, it was a dressing robe*...


    *There's actually a technical difference between them.
    I thought it was called a "Smoking Jacket".

  12. #1208
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Hillsboro, New Hampshire
    Posts
    12,657
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2889
    Likes (Received)
    8765

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    I thought it was called a "Smoking Jacket".
    Yeah, those too. Had quite the wardrobe, old Hugh did.

  13. #1209
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Posts
    4
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    2

    Default

    Still running those free float trapezoidal lead screws, still claiming micron accuracy...

    https://youtu.be/KcOXhN5hDlw

  14. #1210
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Beaverdam, Virginia
    Posts
    10,098
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1506
    Likes (Received)
    5413

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by calius View Post
    Still running those free float trapezoidal lead screws, still claiming micron accuracy...

    https://youtu.be/KcOXhN5hDlw
    It is also an open loop stepper motor system, if you get one that holds +/-.002 you should be happy.

  15. #1211
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Flushing/Flint, Michigan
    Posts
    10,270
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    590
    Likes (Received)
    8381

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by calius View Post
    Still running those free float trapezoidal lead screws, still claiming micron accuracy...

    https://youtu.be/KcOXhN5hDlw
    Accuracy and repeatability two different things.
    My 60's Agathon 220 still running with very, very old trapezoidal screw.
    It will do a few microns but one has to tweak it at every size or part.
    Jump from a TPG-222 to a SNG-633 and lucky to hit .003 on the first part but I can dial in either one.
    Simple as show easy without ballscrews, Five axis contour work different.
    How many surface grinders have such crude screws but can hold a tenth or two on a slot grind?

    Unsure what "free floating" means. Is this lash or type one end mounting?
    If one can hold under .0002 and better with a open loop steeper you are doing something wrong. Please, this is 70s tech.

    The guy has pucked this product to hell and back for sure. Yet the naysayers are are just as much fools and just as lacking in experience.
    Easy to throw stones here as so many failures on so many sides.
    Bob

  16. #1212
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Posts
    2,480
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1841
    Likes (Received)
    1550

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post

    The guy has pucked this product to hell and back for sure. Yet the naysayers are are just as much fools and just as lacking in experience.
    Easy to throw stones here as so many failures on so many sides.
    Bob
    I think this guy has been remiss in listening to the peanut gallery. I don't think he can parse usefull advice, from the advice provided by people who possibly knew what they were talking about, or others who would neither buy the machine, or who'd know what an X/Y/Z axis was if their life depended on it.

    Somebody probably said "you know going to Taiwan you could save some money" So he did, even though he could have made it work in LA/Orange County like the rest of us have.

    Somebody probably suggested, "you know if you made a 25 axis machine, you could really make this a wonderfull machine", even though 4 axis would have been adequate. (as it has been for me the last 10 years)
    (I don't know how many axis it currently has)

    He's missed the boat. Even if he had something to sell. He's like somebody with bad credit, regardless of the income, his bad credit is going to mark him for all eternity. He's got the equivalent of a 550 credit score now. At least we something in common.....
    Last edited by triumph406; 04-27-2021 at 10:13 AM.

  17. #1213
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Beaverdam, Virginia
    Posts
    10,098
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1506
    Likes (Received)
    5413

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    Accuracy and repeatability two different things.
    My 60's Agathon 220 still running with very, very old trapezoidal screw.
    It will do a few microns but one has to tweak it at every size or part.
    Jump from a TPG-222 to a SNG-633 and lucky to hit .003 on the first part but I can dial in either one.
    Simple as show easy without ballscrews, Five axis contour work different.
    How many surface grinders have such crude screws but can hold a tenth or two on a slot grind?

    Unsure what "free floating" means. Is this lash or type one end mounting?
    If one can hold under .0002 and better with a open loop steeper you are doing something wrong. Please, this is 70s tech.

    The guy has pucked this product to hell and back for sure. Yet the naysayers are are just as much fools and just as lacking in experience.
    Easy to throw stones here as so many failures on so many sides.
    Bob
    WTF is wrong with you, are you posting drunk or going senile? You are comparing a manually operated tool grinding machine to a 8,9,10 axis Mill/Turn or whatever they are calling a Swissmak these days. You could not make a more idiotic comparison.

  18. Likes Mike1974, SRT Mike liked this post
  19. #1214
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Flushing/Flint, Michigan
    Posts
    10,270
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    590
    Likes (Received)
    8381

    Default

    My grinders are not manually operated. Sure in the 60's they used cams and a huge rack of cards for logic but those days long gone.
    3-4-5-6 axis cnc.
    Maybe senile or maybe 38 years of designing and building cnc grinders and controls has driven me mad.
    I could make this work for many uses but the price tag is unrealistic.

    On the flip side those that bought into the "CNC Brain" controller to make a sloppy machine good via a fancy computer. Another doomed project from the beginning.
    I do have some chips in my shoes in this but perhaps maybe not enough.
    Bob

  20. Likes triumph406 liked this post
  21. #1215
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Posts
    352
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    50
    Likes (Received)
    192

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    WTF is wrong with you, are you posting drunk or going senile? You are comparing a manually operated tool grinding machine to a 8,9,10 axis Mill/Turn or whatever they are calling a Swissmak these days. You could not make a more idiotic comparison.
    Easy on Bob, he's a Civil War veteran.

    He really has no idea what he's talking about in the context of the Swissmak because he's TOO OLD.

    Just because highly accurate open loop steppers EXIST, doesn't mean Swissmak is using them. Just because highly repeatable trapezoidal lead screws EXIST doesn't mean Swissmak is using them.

    Bob is talking about stuff made 60-70 years ago. Swissmak is using stuff made in China that didn't even exist 20 years ago.

  22. Likes Mike1974, SRT Mike liked this post
  23. #1216
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Posts
    231
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    130

    Default

    The control board we came up with still supports the use of up to 12 stepper motors simultaneously, but we moved away from steppers with the cast iron SwissMak and are now using AC servos with 24 bit encoders. The repeatability of the curvic coupling for the headstock and tailstock spindles is within 2 microns on the chuck diameter, which corresponds to a few arc seconds. The new gearbox uses a large through bore harmonic gear inline with the spindle, which has around 4-6 arc seconds of backlash based on the last tests. The repeatability of the linear axes is also in the range of a few microns, we don't have any limit switches or sensors, the servos themselves are sensors for homing. The volumetric accuracy of the castings are excellent but the overall machine alignment is not perfect. This system relies on good repeatability and small axis travels to be able to hold decent part tolerances.

  24. Likes mmurray70 liked this post
  25. #1217
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Hillsboro, New Hampshire
    Posts
    12,657
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2889
    Likes (Received)
    8765

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Radar987 View Post
    Easy on Bob, he's a Civil War veteran.

    He really has no idea what he's talking about in the context of the Swissmak because he's TOO OLD.
    Ooof. Shots fired (musket balls, I'd imagine).

    Bob's a contrarian, but he's no dummy. I'd love to have some of his knowledge regarding programming and machine development.

    And just remember, you young whippersnapper (I'll presume), you have to do well as your taxes will be paying for us old farts Social Security!

    Ah, the best revenge...

  26. #1218
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    5,843
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    5521
    Likes (Received)
    3735

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by calius View Post
    Still running those free float trapezoidal lead screws, still claiming micron accuracy...

    https://youtu.be/KcOXhN5hDlw
    Nothing says speed like a 4 second delay between indexes.

  27. #1219
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Midwestern MN/Wi USA
    Posts
    1,410
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    74
    Likes (Received)
    406

    Default

    Keep going young man. You do realize the folks complaining about you are wannabes for the most part. Or they couldnt pull it off. Even if this idea does not pan out keep going...keep trying. You will learn that folks that have been over their head live with that fear and many times project it on others. The difference between a wannabe and success are a few more attempts. (Really most folks in this thread are probably moderately successful). I have lived long enough to see good folks brought down by ignorant shaming and good folks make bad decisions. But motivation to learn is the secret spice of life

  28. Likes triumph406 liked this post
  29. #1220
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Posts
    587
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    123
    Likes (Received)
    185

    Default

    Im actually kinda impressed by that demo. Cuts much better then I though it would.

  30. Likes lumley32 liked this post

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •