Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Looks like 12L14.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Speedie View Post
    Keep going young man. You do realize the folks complaining about you are wannabes for the most part. Or they couldnt pull it off. Even if this idea does not pan out keep going...keep trying. You will learn that folks that have been over their head live with that fear and many times project it on others. The difference between a wannabe and success are a few more attempts. (Really most folks in this thread are probably moderately successful). I have lived long enough to see good folks brought down by ignorant shaming and good folks make bad decisions. But motivation to learn is the secret spice of life
    Wannabees? Hardly.
    Methinks you don't know the whole story.

Guest Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Radar987 View Post
    Easy on Bob, he's a Civil War veteran.

He really has no idea what he's talking about in the context of the Swissmak because he's TOO OLD.

Just because highly accurate open loop steppers EXIST, doesn't mean Swissmak is using them. Just because highly repeatable trapezoidal lead screws EXIST doesn't mean Swissmak is using them.

Bob is talking about stuff made 60-70 years ago. Swissmak is using stuff made in China that didn't even exist 20 years ago.
    I am old also, I have actually used Agathon grinders, and it was a long time ago in a land far,far away. Even though a Swissmak is a machine barely fit to make Tinker Toys comparing it to a 50-60 year old machine is flat out nonsense.

Guest Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Speedie View Post
    Keep going young man. You do realize the folks complaining about you are wannabes for the most part. Or they couldnt pull it off. Even if this idea does not pan out keep going...keep trying. You will learn that folks that have been over their head live with that fear and many times project it on others. The difference between a wannabe and success are a few more attempts. (Really most folks in this thread are probably moderately successful). I have lived long enough to see good folks brought down by ignorant shaming and good folks make bad decisions. But motivation to learn is the secret spice of life
    You are either trolling or don't know the whole story.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mtndew View Post
    Wannabees? Hardly.
    Methinks you don't know the whole story.
    75-90% here likely couldn't design their own machine, likely couldn't install any type of control, probably couldn't wire a plug, couldn't choose the right materials to use, couldn't do any stress analysis if required, couldn't market sand to an arab, couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery. etc etc.

I've worked in enough places to know the capabilities of machinists and engineers. Most were very good at something (i've always been in aerospace r&d, and automation) but VERY few were good jack of all trades. So from what I've seen very few of the people I've worked with could make a machine, not just like the Swissmak, but any machine.

I think the SwissMak is a salutory lesoan in moving the goal posts instead of sticking to the original objective and executing the plan. Still how many here could do what he did? (regardless if you think it's a failure or not)

Any way, Mr Mtndew will now show us all the pictures of the machines he's made.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Generic Default View Post
    The control board we came up with still supports the use of up to 12 stepper motors simultaneously, but we moved away from steppers with the cast iron SwissMak and are now using AC servos with 24 bit encoders. The repeatability of the curvic coupling for the headstock and tailstock spindles is within 2 microns on the chuck diameter, which corresponds to a few arc seconds. The new gearbox uses a large through bore harmonic gear inline with the spindle, which has around 4-6 arc seconds of backlash based on the last tests. The repeatability of the linear axes is also in the range of a few microns, we don't have any limit switches or sensors, the servos themselves are sensors for homing. The volumetric accuracy of the castings are excellent but the overall machine alignment is not perfect. This system relies on good repeatability and small axis travels to be able to hold decent part tolerances.
    So you're finally taking the advice that you were given on day one, that you insisted was wrong.

Guest Guest

Quote Originally Posted by triumph406 View Post
    Still how many here could do what he did? (regardless if you think it's a failure or not)
    I most be watching a different movie that you. I really don't see any accomplishments other than an outstanding ability to raise funds, make excuses, grandstand and blow smoke up people's butts. GD had someone else build his prototype, then he got a machine and made piles of scrap trying to duplicate the process. He admittedly no longer controls the company and looks like he is just around for marketing purposes, making a bunch of BS claims.

Also why doesn't GD man up and tell the Kickstarter people they aren't getting machines.

8. Likes mhajicek, g-coder05 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I built a custom machine many years ago. Damn near put me out of business.

It's an ugly story but ended when the customer moved the machine to a different plant and it fell off the truck while unloading and destroyed it.

10. Likes CarbideBob, Bobw, Jashley73, Trueturning liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by triumph406 View Post
    75-90% here likely couldn't design their own machine, .
    yeah maybe. You could create the best machine ever, with a complete set of drawings and stunning prototype ....and you're only a small percentage of the way toward having a successful business.

Its really really hard to develop a new widget in a new market into a real business. The widget is the easy part compared to the huge long list of to-do's, challenges and risks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    You are either trolling or don't know the whole story.
    The whole story that I know of a mess.
    So, so many things. Judge as you will.
    Dreams and bad businesses decisions, tell me you have not been there.

I see a whole lot of hate or other emotions.
    Understandable as many see a rip off artist stealing money. I see different and some will not.
    Why the love to jump all over others failures with fierceness ?
    What message to we put out?
    Bob

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Time to move on from here:
    Machinistboard.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ALSANTAYOS View Post
    Ma***********rd.com
    This sort of (literal) trolling is ugly, and doesn't say much about the board and it's owner.

Guest Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Milland View Post
    This sort of (literal) trolling is ugly, and doesn't say much about the board and it's owner.
    You complain about trolls with all the 3rd grade insults you hurl hiding behind a keyboard, you are kidding, right?

16. Likes Trueturning liked this post
    Guest Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ALSANTAYOS View Post
    Machinistboard.com
    Wow I quoted that spam with no edit and you edited it out on your own, Nothing like a rear kissing brown noser.

Guest Guest

This place has been circling the drain for a long while, unless you like acting like a 3rd grader hurling insults like a coward hiding behind a keyboard, of which that game plan is now tolerated, I could not imagine a long term member enjoying being here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This place has been circling the drain for a long while, unless you like acting like a 3rd grader hurling insults like a coward hiding behind a keyboard, of which that game plan is now tolerated, I could not imagine a long term member enjoying being here.
    I've been here a long time and I enjoy being here.

My observation is that people often spend a long time on a forum, and start to think they have some sort of "founders ownership stake", and they get pissed off when something doesn't go their way. But rather than leave, they hang around griping about how bad things are. To me, that's like going back to a restaurant you "hate" again and again and saying how bad the food and service is and how there are other places that are much better. Then these malcontents often start their own forum and it never takes off because it turns out their vision of an ideal forum was just in their head and most people don't actually want what they want. So eventually it fizzles out and dies. But rather than acknowledge their error in judgement, they just continue to hang around the old place and gripe.

Pro tip - don't be that guy.

20. Likes metalmaster1, Trueturning liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You complain about trolls with all the 3rd grade insults you hurl hiding behind a keyboard, you are kidding, right?
    When they're aimed at racists and trumpers, they're earned and valid.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wow I quoted that spam with no edit and you edited it out on your own, Nothing like a rear kissing brown noser.
    I presume this is aimed at me? Dear asswipe, you're welcome to do what you want. I don't think it's very seemly to parrot the parasite, so I mangled the link.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When they're aimed at racists and trumpers, they're earned and valid.

Do we want to take this thread that far off subject?
    Save the bar fights for another section on the board. No need for it here.

Country
    PHILIPPINES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Whoa, easy now on taking jabs at me. We have a discussion goin on at the board about not trolling PM with links like PM does in Facebook groups. I don't know who that guy was and we do not condone that type of trolling. In just the past two months nearly 100 PM members have migrated just from word of mouth, we really don't need to "troll".