What's new
What's new

Switch 4th axis and Renishaw probe from one (nearly identical) VMC to another ?

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
I have two of the same model...but different years... Litz Hitech VMC's for sale (see links below) Have a potential customer who is interested in buying the newer one but only if it has the 4th axis and probe of the older one. Thoughts on the PITA factor of taking both off one and install on the other ? I suppose the hardware and wiring aspects will become apparent enough but how about the software integration aspects ?

2007 Litz Hitech model 40x22 VMC, 4th axis, TSC, Fanuc CNC, 10,000 RPM spindle. | eBay

2011 Litz HiTech 40 x 22 VMC... pristine, low hours ! Fanuc CNC, mill | eBay

AFAIK, you would have to pay Fanuc to get the options activated on the 0i control for the 4th capability. I'm pretty sure that by 2011 they had made it impossible to bootleg options. IMO, that makes it pretty tough to justify costwise along with the labor to pull cables and swap components.

I havent worked on any Oi controls, but I can tell you that swapping the 4th on machines with a 31i control would turn the donor and receiver into a pair of bricks until Fanuc comes out and installs a new option file. I can't imagine the process for Oi machines would be much quicker. After that you would still have to find all of the parameters for the specific table and change all of them. Not worth the effort at all.

The Renishaw should be quite easy, but that depends on if Litz added an extra IO module for some reason. If not, just follow the wires and take a picture of where they go before pulling them. Rewire it to the new machine and copy over any macros.

Back