What's new
What's new

Table cleaning

Is it flat?

If it is don't do anything to it, it will never bright and shiny like it was when new. If you are worried about resale, people who know what they are looking for aren't going to care if it "looks" brand new, just that its accurate.

If its not flat, you could have it reground or have it scraped in place. Those are pretty much your two options. Milling it won't give satisfactory results, heavily stoning it until it shines will make matters worse.

Seriously??

Its a Tool.. Not an art piece. Shiny doesn't make it better.

Discoloration happens. It just does. That doesn't look bad at all.
I'd never blink twice if a used machine had a table that looked like that.

Already been said, light stone, make sure there aren't any high spots and
make some parts.

If I *had* to, maybe get out the car polishing machine and hit it with some
really light polish, I wouldn't use a rubbing compound on it.

Lemon juice it (citric acid) and leave it overnight. Skotchbrite pad next day while rinsing with water. Wipe over with light oil (WD40 or something) once acid is rinsed away. Removes all rust or spots, works like a charm every time. Harmless as well. That being said, I think your table looks good as it is!

WD-40 and a Scotch Pad. On reference surfaces I never use any pad courser then the gray/green? one, which I think is one step up from the white one. Hard white Arkansas stone for mild nicks, Brown India for those a little worse, and a hand scraping blade for out and out dents or nick, like you might get from a dropped from a bit too high1-2-3 block. Not that those things ever happen. :-)

Its not going to happen the rust stain is .010 / .020 deep...It will get better with use , the chips and cleaning will polish the stain till it fades ,or send it out for grinding...Phil

Back