What's new
What's new

Takisawa MAC-V2e

Rexifcam

Plastic
I am sort of new to CNC machines and am looking at another machine to expand the shop. We make mostly small parts but are looking into making some larger parts (at least for us) which would be maybe 6 inches long by 1.5 inches. We are looking at a '90's era Takisawa MAC-V2e with some tooling and a Fanuc 10m control. Are these machines worth having? The machines I have now are a Mori Seiki SL1A (with Fanuc control) and a Bridgeport with a Centroid control.

I haven't owned one, but I've looked at a few Takisawa lathes and mills from the 80's and 90's. They look like decent machines, but not the best of the best. I think Takisawa is Taiwan, but I could be wrong.

There were a bunch of versions of the 10M which were pretty much gone by 1990. The early ones had yellow cap servos and a lot of limitations. The later 10MD had fiber optic drives, lots of memory, capable and easy to use.

The 10M was fanuc's entry level control of the late 80's, but IMO, it is a much better control than the Fanuc O that replaced it.

If the Takisawa looks in fair shape and the price is right it's probably not a bad deal.

A 90s vintage Takisawa with 10M should have red cap AC motors. IIRC it would be Japanese too. All 10 series controls used battery backed up memory versus the similar era and appearing 11 and 12 series that used bubble memory and no batteries needed. If this machine has been sitting and the batteries are dead, it is a fairly involved process to reload the control parameters even if you have a backup.

I don't know the history, but there is Takisawa Taiwan and Takisawa. Two separate companies. There may be some joint ownership, IDK. IIRC Takisawa Taiwan only builds lathes.

Decent iron and OK control integration. How it has been treated over the past 25 or so years will have far more affect on what the machine can do now versus what it was like new. Garwood is right on the mark, if it is priced right, looks good, and a thorough inspection finds no serious issues then it would be a good choice.

A 90s vintage Takisawa with 10M should have red cap AC motors. IIRC it would be Japanese too. All 10 series controls used battery backed up memory versus the similar era and appearing 11 and 12 series that used bubble memory and no batteries needed. If this machine has been sitting and the batteries are dead, it is a fairly involved process to reload the control parameters even if you have a backup.

I don't know the history, but there is Takisawa Taiwan and Takisawa. Two separate companies. There may be some joint ownership, IDK. IIRC Takisawa Taiwan only builds lathes.

Decent iron and OK control integration. How it has been treated over the past 25 or so years will have far more affect on what the machine can do now versus what it was like new. Garwood is right on the mark, if it is priced right, looks good, and a thorough inspection finds no serious issues then it would be a good choice.

Thank you both for the info. Is there a way to replace the memory battery without having to reload the control parameters? The machine was running at the beginning of July.

Thanks for the responses. Is there anyway to replace the battery without having to reload the parameters?

Thanks for the responses. Is there anyway to replace the battery without having to reload the parameters?

If the parameters are intact and the machine runs good, then just change the batteries with the control powered up. NEVER remove the batteries with the control power off.

The machine builder gets to choose what they want to use for memory backup batteries. Most used a battery box that holds 3 "D" size alkaline cells. Usually that box is mounted on a door or cover panel.

Back