What's new
What's new

Doosan DNM500 MC3092 Probe open alarm.........need some help

david n

Diamond
Renishaw tool probe on my Doosan DNM500..............I just got done with touching off one tool and then the next threw a MC3092 probe open alarm. The tool comes down, touches the probe(doesn't raise back up), and then alarms...........What gives? I have no clue where to start.

This is very generic as I don't know how or by whom your tool probe was installed.

I got screwy problems, including I think 'Probe Open," when using a spindle probe and Renishaws's Easy Probe (9000) routines. What it boils down to is how the probe start-stop sequence(s) and probe select are handled. If your setup is using a probe on off (or probe select (spindle/tool signal), you might be configured to where the probe is off when a 2nd consecutive probe cycle is called. That has burned me a few times. I started using the full Inspection Plus cycles instead which for some reason have better control of the on and off of my probe.

So I guess the short answer is, make sure the tool probe is actually on or the correct probe is active. Maybe thru watching a bit on some diagnostic screen.

You don't say if this just started to happen on a long existing system, or that this is a brand new setup and you're suffering startup pains.

Google this Renishaw document H-4012-8500-01. It may help, and says a bit of what I've suggested. Like probe not active for one.

Probe has been running flawlessly..............I touched off worn tool today without issue and then a second 30 minutes later and I got the alarm....................

Does it actually touch the probe, or is it just really, really close?

Single block through the touch off macro to find where exactly the issue comes from. That said, Renishaw's macros are a PITA.

Is it just this one tool, or is it doing the same with other tools?

Does it actually touch the probe, or is it just really, really close?

My Mori has a B address where you set the approximate tool length. Wondering if there is something on your Doosan like that. If you set it too far off, the probe routine might have a maximum distance it will travel without touching before it thinks it should have run into something already. If not it alarms out.

Just an idea.

EDIT: Well on 2nd thought, the machine probably knows the distance to the touch off point, so perhaps my idea is not valid. Though maybe the addition of another address (if used) changes the routine criteria??

Last edited:
Renishaw tool probe on my Doosan DNM500..............I just got done with touching off one tool and then the next threw a MC3092 probe open alarm. The tool comes down, touches the probe(doesn't raise back up), and then alarms...........What gives? I have no clue where to start.
Is it OTS or TS27R ?
What is the command you are using to measure the tool?

Is it OTS or TS27R ?
What is the command you are using to measure the tool?

The machine has Renishaw probing software..............I don't use a program, sub, or macro...........I use the on screen prompts, get the tool right above the probe and hit cycle start...........tool comes down touches the probe then stops and alarms..............

This alarm in RenGUI is most likely caused by batteries being low or spent. Since it started the probing and ran partly, I would say low battery.

The probe is turned on by an M Code which is in program O8502, I think, and turned off in O8504. The probing cycles are in the macro Executor and can't be accessed. Saves memory for one.

In process probing is done with M165 instead of G65. This calls the Renishaw Inspection Plus macros from the executor, not machine memory. The embedded macros and the original Inspection Plus macros are identical except by how they are called. Renishaw wrote them for Doosan.

Let me qualify what's written below, by saying that My experience is with a vanilla Fanuc control, using Renishaw's 'inspection-plus' macros, which are stored as O9000 programs in the memory, and called via sub-programs.

In my experience, a "PROBE OPEN" alarm happens when the probe is triggered, during a "protected position" move, via the O9810 program. Meaning, the probe is in rapid Z-negative, and is triggered before it actually arrives above the part. Meaning something is wrong. Either you fat-fingered a TLO for the probe, fat-fingered the Z-work offset, the physical part is too tall, a clamp is in the way, etc...

My advice would be to rule any of the obvious things mentioned above out. Double check your setup/tools/probe's TLO to make sure everything is correct.

YMMV, as LockNut mentioned that the Doosan machines handle probing differently.

Don't know about the Doosan, but the routines that come on Haas machines have several options for setting a tool length. Which one (if multiples) are you using? The drill point, or small endmill just requires a tool number on the Haas and it will home Z before running, the auto length rotating wants an approximate length and the tool diameter. If your approx length is too long it will not touch and trigger an alarm. Not sure if any of that is useful. :o

The machine has Renishaw probing software..............I don't use a program, sub, or macro...........I use the on screen prompts, get the tool right above the probe and hit cycle start...........tool comes down touches the probe then stops and alarms..............

And if you want to implement the tool length setting/update in your cutting program ??

And if you want to implement the tool length setting/update in your cutting program ??

I have a probe routine saved under M45 so I can insert it into a program very easy. If anyone is interested I can share, think I got it here anyways. ;)

I have a probe routine saved under M45 so I can insert it into a program very easy. If anyone is interested I can share, think I got it here anyways. ;)
1. I am interested.
2. Few month ago we had here already the discussion regarding the Doosan GUI and inability to follow the its encrypted macros and as result of that troubleshooting.
3. If it is Doosans GUI, then the tool setter is OTS. After certain OTS operations it gets "tired" and does not response quick enough when back off is executed after first touch, causing the PROBE OPEN alarm. In such cases, when macros are open to user, it could be solved by editing the back off amount or time delay. But with these GENIAL encryption - just change the OTS. Or use your own tool setting program.

Back