Talon grip chuck jaw)s (stupid question)
Close
Login to Your Account
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    461
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3
    Likes (Received)
    83

    Default Talon grip chuck jaw)s (stupid question)

    Hello.

    This is probably a stupid question but has anyone seen a talon grip or similar chuck jaw use? Would that work? I know they have clamps for round stock so has anyone adopted them to chuck jaws?

    Thank you

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Posts
    4,762
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1840
    Likes (Received)
    2286

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by plutoniumsalmon View Post
    Hello.

    This is probably a stupid question but has anyone seen a talon grip or similar chuck jaw use? Would that work? I know they have clamps for round stock so has anyone adopted them to chuck jaws?

    Thank you
    The round ones are called versa grips. I think member wheelieking had some pics of a setup where he did exactly that.

  3. Likes wheelieking71 liked this post
  4. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Posts
    5,441
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    228
    Likes (Received)
    1705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by plutoniumsalmon View Post
    This is probably a stupid question but has anyone seen a talon grip or similar chuck jaw use? Would that work? I know they have clamps for round stock so has anyone adopted them to chuck jaws?
    Yes:

    versa-grips.jpg


    They work great. 1/8" extra stock, monster grip so you can go to town. For bigger steel blanks you probably would want to face and groove the backside so the grips have a nice recess to latch onto.

    Regards.

    Mike

  5. Likes mountie liked this post
  6. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    MI, USA
    Posts
    866
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    67
    Likes (Received)
    350

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Finegrain View Post
    Yes:

    versa-grips.jpg


    They work great. 1/8" extra stock, monster grip so you can go to town. For bigger steel blanks you probably would want to face and groove the backside so the grips have a nice recess to latch onto.

    Regards.

    Mike
    Could also counterbore 2 holes next to each other in the jaws so you have 6 grippers in the part, 2 at each jaw.

    (I have never done it but after seeing your image, that's what I'd do if I was worried)

  7. #5
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    461
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3
    Likes (Received)
    83

    Default

    Great.

    Ill go make some. Perfect

  8. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Posts
    3,333
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1983
    Likes (Received)
    850

    Default

    These are stock photos, but we have made them for vise and chuck soft jaws.
    versa_grip3.jpgversagrip-lathe.jpg

  9. Likes wheelieking71 liked this post
  10. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Gilbert, AZ
    Posts
    6,386
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    8063
    Likes (Received)
    8109

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doug925 View Post
    These are stock photos, but we have made them for vise and chuck soft jaws.
    versa_grip3.jpgversagrip-lathe.jpg
    That second photo is my chuck, LOL (mitee bite used it on their site).

    Yes, it works great.
    My only warning is: in softer materials, be very careful with your chuck pressure.
    A hydraulic chuck will easily over come aluminum, and compromise the integrity of the grip.

    Edit: that pic you posted Doug is not the one Mitee Bite used. But, it is still my chuck. Not sure where you got that? LOL

    The Mitee Bite pic is the first pic in the bottom set on this page: VersaGrip™ | Mitee-Bite Products LLC.
    Last edited by wheelieking71; 07-15-2020 at 10:15 PM.

  11. Likes doug925 liked this post
  12. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Posts
    4,762
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1840
    Likes (Received)
    2286

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wheelieking71 View Post
    That second photo is my chuck, LOL (mitee bite used it on their site).

    Yes, it works great.
    My only warning is: in softer materials, be very careful with your chuck pressure.
    A hydraulic chuck will easily over come aluminum, and compromise the integrity of the grip.

    Edit: that pic you posted Doug is not the one Mitee Bite used. But, it is still my chuck. Not sure where you got that? LOL

    The Mitee Bite pic is the first pic in the bottom set on this page: VersaGrip™ | Mitee-Bite Products LLC.
    Damn wheelie, you better start trademarking your pics!

  13. Likes doug925, wheelieking71 liked this post
  14. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Posts
    3,333
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1983
    Likes (Received)
    850

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wheelieking71 View Post
    That second photo is my chuck, LOL (mitee bite used it on their site).
    Edit: that pic you posted Doug is not the one Mitee Bite used. But, it is still my chuck. Not sure where you got that? LOL
    I got the picture of the chuck jaws from this site, your post, #7.
    Thinking outside the box. lathe parts bigger than bar capacity

    I should have credited you for the pic.


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •