What's new
What's new

Tapping strategies on lathes

Steve@Reliance

Hot Rolled
So I'm quoting a lathe job, 100,500,1000, 2000, pieces. 1 3/8" 1018 bar and the part is finished at 1.5" long with a 3/4-16 threaded hole through it. Now on the low qty I am happy to drill deep enough to get a 3/4-16 spiral flute tap through the part and face off or part off the extra drilled material. This the way I always did it in the past before we had a lathe with live tooling.Once the the quantity goes up I'm thinking about all the waste and considering thread milling instead. I can't decide if the glass is half empty or full. Just looking for opinions if I should be trying a different approach than" that's how we've always done it".

Thread milling would take longer.
I guess you have to weigh the cost of extra cycle time vs. cost of losing the extra matl.

Please add details.
If you are doing the next part from the same bar, why do you need to cut off the pre-drilled section ?

On lathes with live tools spindle-orient is usually standard.
I think.
So you should be able to thread into the same hole, rigid tapping.

Without spindle-orient a floating tap holder should align to the previous threads, just pick the right depth.

Please add details.
If you are doing the next part from the same bar, why do you need to cut off the pre-drilled section?

Yes, this. Run the drill through and into the next part. Spiral flute tap has, what, 2 thread pitches of taper? So that's 1/8", which is your parting tool, plus you probably are doing something on the backside, like a 1/2-1 pitch chamfer. I don't see any extra waste.

Regards.

Mike

Back