What's new
What's new

Techniks hydraulic tool holders?

Lazyman

Aluminum
Anyone every use Techniks hydraulic holders? I think they are fairly new to market and my distributor can get them for about $215 and $85 for reduction sleeves. Seems pretty cheap and at that price I'd be tempted to just skip the sleeves.

Garbage. If you break a tool you arent getting that sleeve out because of the sleeve being negative into the holder.

I would suggest the schunk tendo series holders. Very affordable and their platinum series is top notch made out of tool steel. The platinums are also rebuild able if you bust a bladder.

+2 for schunk.

I have some hydros that were sold under the YG1 brand, pretty sure they are the same original source as Techniks, they are both Korean brands and they look identical as best as I can tell.

Assuming YG1 and Techniks are the same holders, I can say that they aren't great. The clamping screws don't bottom out with a positive stop the way quality holders do. I had one 20mm that wouldn't release the tool after half hour or so of adaptive pocketing. It was a plain cylindrical shank of good nominal size, and it didn't get hot or anything. The end mill was fine but I couldn't get it out. Used it until it was done and threw the whole thing out.

I guess price was too good to be true. I'm considering the Shunk tendo E compact as price is attractive. I read there can be issues keeping tools clamped too long,are you guys having any issues with that? Some of my tools stay on the shelf for months unused for repeat work. Any thoughts on the TENDO ES? These are running on Haas so keeping the gage length very low would be great for heavy roughing.

We have tons of the tendo's and platinums with all sorts of gage lengths, sizes, and leave tools in. They work great for big reamers also.

One thing to keep in mind is they are hydraulic and the bladder will bust if you crash them hard or if you change directions in a really heavy cut. Better off with shrink fit for that. We use lots of HSM tool paths and really really get after it without any issues.

I bet we have close to 300 tendo platinum in use daily.

For heavy roughing...i went away from hydraulic and went to MariTools short and stubby sidelocks...

Thats actually what I already use now.I have actually used them for finishing too as the ER Collets don't seem to perform any better. but just wanted to try out hydraulics if I can get better accuracy and finish.

One thing to keep in mind is they are hydraulic and the bladder will bust if you crash them hard or if you change directions in a really heavy cut. Better off with shrink fit for that. We use lots of HSM tool paths and really really get after it without any issues.

I bet we have close to 300 tendo platinum in use daily.

I was considering heat shrink too but they tend to have higher gage length which may negate some of the advantages if running in less heavy spindle? Most of my roughing tool paths are hsm constant radial engagement.

I was considering heat shrink too but they tend to have higher gage length which may negate some of the advantages if running in less heavy spindle? Most of my roughing tool paths are hsm constant radial engagement.
Don't worry about shrink fit. You will be happy with the tendo and platinum series.

We really get after it with them .. 1.25 doc, 15k rpm, .15 step over, 410ipm with yg1 3 flute 3/8" endmills and schunk platinum

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Back