What's new
What's new

Tensilathe CNC Lathe

terminfekin

Plastic
Hi Folks,

I have been offered a free CNC lathe designed for cutting tensile test specimens. The board on the lathe itself is not working, so it was headed to the scrap pile. I am wondering if anyone has insight into either converting a lathe like this into a more general CNC machine, or retrofitting it to a simple manual machine.

The lathe is a Tensilathe, by Tensilkut. A bit more info can be seen here: CNC Tensilathe

Thanks

I'm only commenting because we owned a Victor CNC lathe that pretty much only made tensile test specimens. Hundreds of them. You know that this part will require a number of tool changes and the machine you are showing is a glorified engine lathe IMO. Making tensile bars on that thing will get old quickly.

Jim
I think he wants to know if he could use it for things other than specimens.

OP;
YES!

head on over to the stepper ZONE they got exactly what you knead.

Did you ever pick this up? Thinking about picking one up as well. Can't seem to find any info on converting this for general use.

Read post #3 again

OP didn't respond on whether he picked it up or not.

Not sure what/where the "stepper zone" is. Googled it but didn't seem to come up with anything like a forum or even a subforum here. Sorry. New to the PM forum.

I had a Miford MiniKop tracer lathe for doing tensile specimens. It had a hydraulic tracer on the back of the cross slide. It might be possible to convert the machine to a tracer lathe. A far as I can see the operation of the MiniKop would have been as fast as a
cnc lathe.

Thanks for the response.
The tensilathe software is a bit clunky but I just loaded a dxf of something other than a specimen and it cut it just fine. Safe to say, it can turn things other than a tensile specimen.

Back