What's new
What's new

Testing incremental encoder with oscope

Is that a serial pulse coder? If so, I do not know what the protocol is to know what the data stream should look like. Quadrature pulse coders are easy to check with a scope. Can you post a pic of the label on it?

I know I have seen a picture of the signal wave but cannot find it now. Here is the encoder and pinout. I do not believe it is a serial encoder. Fanuc calls it an incremental pulse coderi64 fanuc incremental encoder.jpgi64 pinout.jpg

That's an Alpha series serial incremental encoder. Notice on the pinout image the signals SD, *SD, REQ and *REQ. Those are the serial signal pins and their inverses. I have never seen any info about the protocol they use nor any kind of a timing chart. SD and *SD are most likely Send Data and an inverse Send Data (used for error checking). REQ and its inverse are, to me, less obvious.

The attached is from the Alpha series drive description manual. Notice in the notes section where it says the CNC has to have a serial pulse coder interface to use the encoders listed in the table.

Attachments

• serial encoders.jpg
    serial encoders.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 171
You might try pico-systems.com , look in their webstore, as they have a converter from Fanuc serial to quadrature and should have the data. Jon has been helpful on this type of thing.

Ed.

Back