What's new
What's new

Is there a code to lock the spindle on VMC? Yasnac-MX3

gmoushon

Cast Iron
Like the title says, I'm wondering if anyone knows if I can lock the spindle rotation in a certain position on my Kitamura VMC with a Yasnac MX3 control.

Thanks,
gm

What does your manual say? If you don't have any you can download them from Yasnac. They would tell you the G and M codes used.

M19 will orient the spindle for the toolchange process. For any other positions, that functionality would be the responsibility of the machine builder, not Yaskawa.

Thanks for the replies.

I couldn't find anything in the manual regarding "locking" the spindle. M19 does "orient" the spindle for tool changes but it does not hold the spindle in a fixed position, stopping it from turning.

I'm trying to hold the spindle in a fixed position to make a small broaching type of cut. Not sure if this is possible, (or advisable), on a VMC.

gm.

Some machines just can't do that. On most that I've seen, an "M19" will "lock" the spindle, but softly. You can turn it a bit, and the spindle will resist you and turn back, but not very hard. On some, including the Haas I have here, "M19 P180." will orient the spindle 180° off from toolchange position. I believe I can orient to any whole degree position. This is used for probe calibration.

On mine, M19 won't lock the spindle rigid enough to broach, but it should still hold that oriented position fairly well. Depending on what you need size and accuracy wise I would be willing to try it. Make the broach so the cutting edges are as close to the spindle centerline as possible.

Yes, orientation and locking are two very separate functions. Locking via a shot pin or brake mechanism is pretty rare on a machine new enough to have an MX1 control let alone an MX3.

Orientation on your machine is simply the spindle drive applying a holding current to the motor windings and balancing that current with a polarity signal of a magnetic sensor. If the oriented position is deviated outside of range by external forces, the spindle will often do a couple fast rotations in an attempt to re-orient. For that reason many machine builders will apply a warning label near the spindle prohibiting the tightening or loosening of a collet of a toolholder in the spindle.

On my fanuc machines, if I M19 at the tool change position, the brake releases after I move the Z down about .100". If I M19 with the Z already down, the brake stays on until I hit the reset button.

Not sure about the Haas.

If I was going to broach something, and the machine has a geared head, I would make sure I was in low gear before orienting the spindle- just because...

What Kevin said I'm sure is right- it's up to the MTB. Both my fanucs are Taiwan machines and they happen to work the same way.

Back