What's new
What's new

Is There a Way to Use LNS Bar Loader As Work Stop?

munruh

Hot Rolled
Have some 2" diameter bars around 10" long that need to be machined on both sides. Is there any way to use a LNS servo bar loader as a work stop. I haven't figured it out if there is.

Are the slugs going to be loaded from the front or the back?

I made an adjustable stop for my drawtube but it's a PITA for short run stuff.
I usually caliper off a jaw to do the first side then mill oal. Then you can stop off the front to do the second side.

Have some 2" diameter bars around 10" long that need to be machined on both sides. Is there any way to use a LNS servo bar loader as a work stop. I haven't figured it out if there is.
Just make a chuck chip cover that is about 12" long with a 1/2" -20 thread in the bottom For adjustment.
Couldnt think of what they called but but they slide in the chuck to keep chips out, has a flange held by 3 screws. into the chuck
make it a couple of thou smaller than your spindle tube.

you really only need about 8"-10" as your chuck jaws are usually 2" in depth.

they work great solid and very accurate.

otherwise you could use your lns servo bar if you have a way to move it in Jog, my old autobar 400 I was able to do that. just jog the pusher rod to where I wanted it.

Not that I know of.

--------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I use my LNS Quickload Servo 2 like this occasionally. I would have to check exactly where it is, but there is a menu option for it in maybe the 4th or 5th page of the main menu.

I use my LNS Quickload Servo 2 like this occasionally. I would have to check exactly where it is, but there is a menu option for it in maybe the 4th or 5th page of the main menu.

So when you open the chuck - it advances to the gauge point, and then it it retracts shortly after chuck closure?

I don't know if my S1 has that option or not?
I doo have an S2, but it's squirreled away for now.
I will try to remember that as a possibility on that unit for the future!

-----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

So when you open the chuck - it advances to the gauge point, and then it it retracts shortly after chuck closure?

That is correct. The one problem I've run into is that if the operator opens the chuck again right after he closed it he can push the part back the retract distance again. There is a bit of time lag there, so it's not quite as foolproof as a deadstop, but I still use it quite frequently.

Back