What's new
What's new

Thread mill recommendation

Eric U

Hot Rolled
I'd like to move a threading operation from my lathe to the mill. I need to thread mill a 1-1/8x20tpi thread 7/8" deep in aluminum. There are what seems like a million thread mills out there. Inserted ones, solid carbide, etc? Brands? Coatings?

Thanks,
Eric U

I use lakeshore carbide for 4 flute solid carbide thread mills, they have decent pricing and perform pretty well. Don't have any experience with inserted Threadmills but they do get pricy and due to the shank size are generally limited to OD work only.

i don't recall if they have any uncoated cutters but the coated still work well in 6061. I have several of their 20 TPI mills and IIRC they have close to 1" LOC.

i don't recall if they have any uncoated cutters but the coated still work well in 6061. I have several of their 20 TPI mills and IIRC they have close to 1" LOC.

They do now. The 1/2"-20 TPI tools have exactly 7/8" LOC which should work fine for the OP.

Vargus is a one stop shop for me...

They are experts in this field, have some great products and pricing is reasonable.

Good technical support here in the UK also. I'm sure you'd find the same in the US.

I've got some Lakeshore thread mills I use for other applications. I'd prefer something with at least a little extra DOC so I'm not right on the edge when it comes to chamfers and such. I looked at the Advent website and they have some nice looking stuff, but at nearly twice the price of the Lakeshore ones. I'll get something by the end of the week.

Thanks for all the input,
Eric U

Try Advent's single flute indexable threadmills if you're not doing large quantities. The bodies aren't expensive and you can buy inserts individually at around $35 a piece. You lose productivity over 4-flute solid carbides, but they're still better than single tooth cutters.

Last edited:

Would somebody please ban Brianless Brant who is doing nothing but bumping old threads and shilling for his company?

A company that now will probably never see a penny of revenue from any PM member, since we all HATE spammers?

Way to go, Brant, you've permanently damaged the reputation of Maple Tools. Hope they're paying you well to trash their online reputation.

Back