Threaded (Screw-in) Milling Cutters - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

They are a big seller in the 1/2 inch to 7/8 inch range.
    Somebody must be happy.
    When comparing prices to endmills try to stay inside the same vendor.
    Iscar is not a internet discount house but volume buyers from them get a lot off list so the prices you see may not be what others are paying.
    Maybe if you use a few hundred or a goodly thousands a year the price is different.
    It's not really an economical small shop tool. Oriented towards production.
    It is the cat's ass for making high performance CV joints. Lots of depth to ball mill those rad tracks in. A standard ball nose would never handle it or hold the tolerances at the same speed.

It has a use, not sure it fits so much in a averge job shop where runs are small.
    Bob

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

For a smaller shop I like Dijet brand due to the variety of heads and the affordability of inserts Dijet

Iscar does have a nice selection and these ER collet combos are a real crowd pleaser in the lathe Iscar ER Collet Flexfit

Most brands have these systems for good or bad. I sell a lot of Walter solid carbide version because they are pretty awesome. Just about every brand you have heard of has a decent offering.

I would shy away from generic brands if you want repeatable results and want to avoid blowing up a part etc.
    Last edited by Shop Supply Guru; 11-11-2019 at 02:41 PM. Reason: added stuff

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TeachMePlease View Post
    The Iscar guy was here last week, trying to sell me their multi master system. The solid carbide heads run in the $80/ea range, depending on size. I told him it's not worth it for me when a 1/8" endmill is huge in my world, and an MAFord is only about $12.
    We do a lot of small stuff and agree it doesn't make sense for smaller sizes but we picked up one of these setups in 1/2" for a hard milling job we do where we need a 2" long bullnose endmill for reach where all the cutting is surfacing done using the corner rad. I think we were paying closer to $100 for a 2"loc 1/2" endmill so it works out to a decent savings.

Still using normal endmills for regular length stuff.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    West Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In my application I am using a 5/8" endmill w/a .09 chamfer to finish up to a shoulder. I need to make a few passes with this and am only using .08" or so of cutter length. I though one of these would allow me to do in less passes. Can't find any with chamfers though. Basically what I would like to have is a mini 45 degree face mill. 30 taper machine, I saw the bt30 holders that Maritool has and was thinking maybe I could find a cutter for one. Not interested in paying $300-400 for one though.

It looks like Millstar (MSC has them) has them for not too bad a price but I still don't see what would do me any good.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 007Rob View Post
    We do a lot of small stuff and agree it doesn't make sense for smaller sizes but we picked up one of these setups in 1/2" for a hard milling job we do where we need a 2" long bullnose endmill for reach where all the cutting is surfacing done using the corner rad. I think we were paying closer to $100 for a 2"loc 1/2" endmill so it works out to a decent savings.

Still using normal endmills for regular length stuff.
    If you are using the screw on ball or bull nose nose regularly this could be a money saver and a nice quality option as well.

Dijet Mirror Rad

Dijet mirror ball

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I used to use a dijet mirrorball in 1/4" where I used to work. Logged thousands of hours surfacing hardened die steels. Tool bodies lasted a long time, and the inserts were very repeatable. I used to keep it as a standard tool in the machine at all times.