What's new
What's new

Threading back to front question

camhead420

Cast Iron
Hi,

I have a little part that i am trying to run in one operation on a doosan with live tooling. Can i thread from back to front? and have normal threads?IMG_1559.jpg

thanks guys,i knew i was over thinking it. i read a couple threads and someone suggested using an id threading bar turned over.
I think i will try that first.

I do this all the time with no issues. My very old mazak lathe uses "right side up" tooling on the back. Normal RH threads starting close to the chuck and moving away from it. Spindle in reverse and tool right side up.

The initial plunge is a little harder on the tool, but just program more passes then you normally do and it will work fine.

thanks guys,i knew i was over thinking it. i read a couple threads and someone suggested using an id threading bar turned over.
I think i will try that first.

That would werk if you are just using a basic 60* single point insert, but not if you want to use a cresting insert.

Trying to git a full thread all the way to the undercut on your part would be much easier with a cresting insert.

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

With chuck turning CCW → tool cutting away from chuck → then operator side of the part insert is upside down & from the backside of the part insert is right side up = both make right hand threads.

Good luck,
Matt

Back