What's new
What's new

Through tool coolant

Schjell

Aluminum
Hi, been trying to get flow through my index drills and boring bars, but I only seem to be getting flow out of the brass external nozzles. Any idea what I'm doing wrong? Boring bar holders are blanked off with a plate on the back. New Haas ST-30Y with BMT65 and additional HP coolant option. All static holders are stamped Haas. All tools are Kenna.
There's prob some blind screw that needs to be set or something, but can't figure it out. Not rocket science, so it's making me feel dumb. Thanks for all tips!

Did you pull the back plate off the holder? There is probably a plug or screw that is keeping the coolant from entering the tool cavity.
Make sure you plug the brass nozzles too.

Are you using an M88 for coolant? Are these new drills? There could be chips packed in the coolant holes if they're used.

Assuming these are DIN-B holders, coolant through flange. There are two intersecting channels, one from the 'spindle side' that intersects with a second channel drilled from the front or 'tool side' of the flange in to the body of the holder. Usually, these come out of the box with the set screw pugs set to block the coolant flow. You need to back up the screw from the front or 'tool side' of the flange to unblock the intersection. Do not remove the set screw as the coolant will then come right out the front side of the flange.

Thanks a lot guys! Apologies for late answer, different time zones:-) Will digest all the good input from you guys and have a go first thing tomorrow! Yes, new drills and I've been using M88. Tried with and without HP pump, same result, just more noise🙂. Will have a closer look at the holders and look for set screw plugd etc as mentioned!

Assuming these are DIN-B holders, coolant through flange.

The OP has a lathe. Just sayin... :-)

There are likely set screw plugs right on the turret that plug the coolant channels. My Mori lathe has two. One on the face of the turret block that will feed built in turret block channels, and one on the back side which you have to kind of bend around to see. At least one of these needs to be open. The back one is good for drills being fed from the rear of the of the drill shank with a short hose with proper fittings.

Just an update here.
As mentioned - There were two set screws behind the rear cover which needed removed.
Next time I'll put a little more effort into figuring out the simple things on my own before I come running to you guys!
Thanks again!

Back