What's new
What's new

Thru-tool coolant always better than flood?

316head

Aluminum
I've been replacing retention knobs for face and shoulder mills to allow coolant to go through spindle. Flood coolant is currently being used in every facing and shoulder milling operation on our HMC's. Material is cast iron, case-hardening steel and stainless steel, which tend to stick to inserts. Are there any reasons NOT to use thru tool coolant?

Through-spindle coolant: To TSC or not to TSC
Through-spindle coolant: To TSC or not to TSC

EDIT: Gosh I didn't mean to kill the vibe... My lack of comment goes with my lack of experience, as every machine I've worked on that has TSC either doesn't get used or is 100% necessary for the operation, such as lathe stuff. Never mind an HMC. Hopefully the attached thread helps.

Last edited:
Sorry to start another thread, time to learn to use the search! :)

#1 reason was for the BBT30 machines - pull studs are tiny and with a hole in there just makes them weaker...
#2 reason was for the BT40 machines - pull studs are bigger but with a hole in there...

I have thought of this. However I have never heard of BT50 (the taper in our machines) pull-stud breakage even with a hole in it. It could happen during heavy roughing with an endmill but I highly doubt it is possible with facemills.

I've been replacing retention knobs for face and shoulder mills to allow coolant to go through spindle. Flood coolant is currently being used in every facing and shoulder milling operation on our HMC's. Material is cast iron, case-hardening steel and stainless steel, which tend to stick to inserts. Are there any reasons NOT to use thru tool coolant?

Depending on your coolant and your setup, TSC can cause foaming of the coolant. If your tank isn’t big enough to allow enough time for settling, it can result in several problems - cavitation in your coolant pump, coolant (foam) overflowing out of your tank or machine, coolant starvation, coolant / foam being drawn out by your chip conveyor - the list goes on...

Water quality and mineral content can also play a part in foaming...

For 50 taper - I wouldn't worry about the strength, but 40 taper and smaller - there just aint much meat in there to use it in a roughing app.

With that said - I just pulled a face mill off the other day - only to find a string in each of the holes, presumably pushed in from the cut.
But I'm sure that I wasn't running TSC on that tool, so - would it have pushed a chip up there with coolant going through?
prolly.....

I might run TSC on an endmill, but not likely on a face mill.

---------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I never did use through tool on facemills or anything that would be heavy cutting.
#1 reason was for the BBT30 machines - pull studs are tiny and with a hole in there just makes them weaker...

This isn't so cut and dry. One can argue in certain overload conditions the retention knob with the hole will be more resistant to cracking and then as a result breaking. Many time a crack starts in the center, if you remove the center ( like a cars driveshaft) less chance of cracking. So yes and no, hard to say.

Regarding TSC and face mills, we have been running TSC through our face mills for years on a CAT40 Haas, and it works "ehh" for roughing. We'll run 120-150% spindle load on our VF-2ss with those face mills, and no issues with the hollow pull studs. This is in 6061 and 7075. Flood coolant works better, but sometimes it just won't reach where you need it.

It completely sucks for finishing though. Just like anything else with TSC, when you have a face mill going 8000 RPM, the coolant just flings out radially and misses the cutting zone completely.

I run a 4" face mill 8000 RPM in aluminum, I can't say that the TSC is hitting the inserts, but I can say that flood is not. The wind generated from the face mill makes an air curtain that prevents the flood from getting to the insert. The Ingersol face mill I use has 8 octagon inserts and each insert has a coolant hole angled to shoot the coolant on the cutting edge. It seems to help finish, it may be just helping carry the chip away, not sure. This is in a CAT 50 Mazak horizontal so I am not worried about the stud.

Back