What's new
What's new

Time delay door interlocks

gregormarwick

Diamond
We had an inspection from HSE (our equivalent of OSHA I suppose) last week for the first time in a good number of years. One complaint that they have followed up with is that our machines do not have a time delay after the cycle finishes before they unlock the door. This supposedly to allow coolant mist to settle and prevent operator exposure. We have filter extractors on most of our machines, but whatever, little point in arguing with them.

I have never come across a machine that has a time delay on the door interlock, is this actually a thing that exists? Our newest machine is a DMG Mori, it was installed around May/June this year and it doesn't have an interlock delay.

I have a strong suspicion that this is just some fantasy invented by some idiot in their ranks. If I can demonstrate that nobody actually makes machines that do that then I will happily tell them so.

None of our stuff has this. Curious how long of a delay they think is sufficient?

I'd think they'd be on you to add more exhaust suck, help the whole building.

Ain't no wonder why everyone is going to robots.

Brent

We had an inspection from HSE (our equivalent of OSHA I suppose) last week for the first time in a good number of years. One complaint that they have followed up with is that our machines do not have a time delay after the cycle finishes before they unlock the door. This supposedly to allow coolant mist to settle and prevent operator exposure. We have filter extractors on most of our machines, but whatever, little point in arguing with them.

I have never come across a machine that has a time delay on the door interlock, is this actually a thing that exists? Our newest machine is a DMG Mori, it was installed around May/June this year and it doesn't have an interlock delay.

I have a strong suspicion that this is just some fantasy invented by some idiot in their ranks. If I can demonstrate that nobody actually makes machines that do that then I will happily tell them so.

Having worked for a MTB, I can tell you I've never seen that. Even on machines with VERY high speed capability.

It's to keep the gender-studies-graduate operator from licking the coolant.

Don't be silly, there's a purpose for everything. :D

That sounds like something a building inspector in a California city would pull out of his butt.

Funny thing. Our new haas have the autodoors... Not a dang thing that keeps operator from sticking hand in between doors when shutting. 🙄 Other than plastic gear and rack stripping out before breaking bones

I imagine if for some stupid reason you had your head in there and hit cycle start your would get a nice goose egg or worse

I had a friend who owned a candy store- when he saw the health inspector coming, he threw a piece of candy on the floor and stepped on it. Got written up for it, my friend said he was sorry, the inspector puffed up his chest and dislocated his shoulder patting himself on his back and left. Sometimes you just gotta play the game.

I had a friend who owned a candy store- when he saw the health inspector coming, he threw a piece of candy on the floor and stepped on it. Got written up for it, my friend said he was sorry, the inspector puffed up his chest and dislocated his shoulder patting himself on his back and left. Sometimes you just gotta play the game.

Same thing with the Fire Dept Inspectors. When they show up out of the blue, I tell them I don't have time right now. Let's make an appointment for next week. It gives me time to pre-clean and stage the scene. I purposely let my extinguishers expire* and leave some rags around the shop. They write me up for house keeping and expired tags and leave happy as they "got" another miscreant. I refer to that as leaving some low hanging fruit. They got me for something and didn't go for a deep dive.

* My fire extinguishers are maintained by a good customer, who is a licensed fire extinguisher contractor & insists that extinguishers don't need annual servicing.

This strange to me.
Ask for a copy of the written rule book section where this is mandated.
Timed hit the button and to door locks are common in robotic work cells for start up but I have never seen this end of cycle thing.
Bob

Back