What's new
What's new

Time for a new Tumbler.

gundog

Hot Rolled
I have a C&M Topline Bowl but many of the parts that I make won't fit in it. I am spending too much time sanding and finishing parts that could be tumbled if I had a larger tumbler.

I am looking at buying the C&M Topline 300 DB off ebay are there any other companies that make something similar with similar prices? I read some old threads about this subject but they are all a couple years old and all are about the C&M Topline.

How big are those parts?

I have a model 300 and 20 pcs of 15" long is not a problem?

It ain't a bowl though.... rather a 30" rectangle vibratory.

I have the same tumbler as SD, works a treat. Once you get the hang of which media to use, it's pretty much slam dunk to get what finish you need. I still have a couple of barrel tumblers from Diamond Pacific that work well for smaller jobs.
I also have the larger Mr Deburr 600 sitting around that I got used in a trade. After dealing with cancer for the last year, I don't think I'll ever expand enough to use that one. Should work, but I've never hooked it up or turned it on. If you were closer, I'd say let's hook it up and see if it works for what you need, likely too big though.

Gundog
if it was for those parts you showed in a thread about holding the mr deburr 300 is perfect for it. I have one and love it. I bought one new cause I couldn't find a decent used one. Wife cried a little but after one week it paid for itself.
you always hear the old adage " a machine will pay for itself in such and such a time" and your never satisfies with that. we were on this one. if your a small shop de-burring takes you away from spindle time, but at the same time you have to get parts de-burred to ship. you have 3 choices send them out for debur and hope they dont f them up, or do it your self while watching your machines sit, or get a good tumbler.

dependng on part size we run about 6-10 so we dont get nicks, the slightest nick will get them rejected.

Now she wants another one ;)

,..I am looking at buying the C&M Topline 300 DB off ebay are there any other companies that make something similar with similar prices? I read some old threads about this subject but they are all a couple years old and all are about the C&M Topline.
I have one too, it's a good little tumbler. I use the crap out of it and it's never let me down. Small parts I string together on a piece of copper wire, makes it a lot easier to get them all out of the machine when they are done.

I do a handle that is 16" long, 1-1/8 dia. aluminum, run 15-20 at a time.

The largest parts I want to do in the new tumbler are about 19" long. I have their largest bowl now it holds 50# of media it works good for the smaller parts. When I bought the bowl I was going to buy the 300 DB but the guy talked me into the bowl for some reason I wish I would have bought the bigger machine to start with but I have been running it for about 8 years now. I have this one now TLV-75 (3/4 Cubic Foot)

– C&M Topline

This is the one I plan to buy if I don't find something better.
Mr. Deburr 300DB (3 Cubic Foot)

– C&M Topline

The only problem I have had with the bowl other than it is too small is when I first got it I bought the stand and it vibrated off the stand and I found it on its side and it almost wore a hole through the side. I put it on a rubber sheet over the stand and it has never fallen off again.

The one thing I wish was different is the water system turns bad fairly quick so I have to constantly clean it out I have thought about using a larger container than the tall bucket it came with. Has anyone figured out a separation system to keep the liquid cleaner?

If you get a 300DB, just plan on putting it as far away from humans as possible. Those fuckers are LOUD.

It will be outside the shop with all the noisy crap. I have a loafing shed where the AC, Tumbler, Dust collector & vacuum motors for the router are located makes life inside the shop much nicer. My shop is at my home on 6.5 acres so I put all that noise making stuff outside the shop.

I have the same tumbler as SD, works a treat. Once you get the hang of which media to use, it's pretty much slam dunk to get what finish you need. I still have a couple of barrel tumblers from Diamond Pacific that work well for smaller jobs.
I also have the larger Mr Deburr 600 sitting around that I got used in a trade. After dealing with cancer for the last year, I don't think I'll ever expand enough to use that one. Should work, but I've never hooked it up or turned it on. If you were closer, I'd say let's hook it up and see if it works for what you need, likely too big though.

What part of CA are you in?

I have 3 of the DB300 tumblers and would not want a 600 size... tumblers eat stone and all the parts I run can fit in a a 300 size ... I can run about 25 parts the size of a pop can at a time in the 300 size ..

As for the tumbler itself I have had it for about 25 years and it gets a LOT of use ... its on its second belt and second set of bearings . The price of stone keeps going up do to shipping cost ,,, I spend a couple grand a year on the stone.

Got a Mr DeBurr over here. Nice unit. Made mine mobile....................put 'er outside so I don't have to listen to it all day long............................move it around with a pallet jack.

IMG_1654.jpg

IMG_1655.jpg

IMG_1656.jpg

IMG_1662.jpg

I had a new machine day this week and so far I really like it. The noise level is much less than the old C&M bowl by about 1/3. After everything that was said about noise I was expecting it to be worse than the bowl but instead it makes much less noise and works much faster. You can see the bowl in the background of the picture.

I am not sure why it always turns my pictures sideways they are not that way until I post them.

20190226_135417.jpg

I have that same machine. It does a good job. Be prepared for some mess. Mine makes a lot of fine ceramic and aluminum nasty ass powder that gets everywhere. If I changed the water more religiously it probably wouldn't be a problem.

The noise sounds okay when you first get it. Week two and it starts to be mildly annoying. By month 6 you start to feel like Jack Nicholson in The Shining.

I use a slotted basket in the top of the bucket with some filter material in the basket, catches a lot of the crud, makes life easier.

I am going to give that a try I hate cleaning the bucket.
Remember those slotted baskets they sell to sort brass? They fit perfectly in the top of the bucket for this. A gal down the building does upholstery work, and has left-over batting she gives away, works great. Lots of other sources for filter material, but free is hard to beat. :)

Remember those slotted baskets they sell to sort brass? They fit perfectly in the top of the bucket for this. A gal down the building does upholstery work, and has left-over batting she gives away, works great. Lots of other sources for filter material, but free is hard to beat. :)

I wonder if one of those paint strainers that are made for 5 gallon buckets would work I have a couple of them I think I will give one a try.

Back