What's new
What's new

Tips for Starting a CNC-SHOP

MetalV

Plastic
Hello Community,

I am looking to start a CNC-Shop bussines, and I want to be sure with all I have to do. How can I expand, find customers? Where I find 5-7k Euro Cnc-Machine(like an Haas mini-mill/Vf1 etc.). Could you give me some advices/tips.

Kind regards,
Eng. Vlad

MetalV ENGINEERING
Manufacturing Engineering
Login • Instagram
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/vasile-ovidiu-vlad-821a42175
Romania, Cluj-Napoca

If that ^^^^ is step 1, step 2 is to buy a hotdog cart.

Is that still the standard in the integrated/lean/flat/IOT/v4.0 manufacturing werld? I think we should update this recommendation to a banana stand. Lower overhead, less capex, less WIP, less inventory. Shirley a banana stand would be the modern way...

BTW, step 2 is still "???" :D

Is that still the standard in the integrated/lean/flat/IOT/v4.0 manufacturing werld? I think we should update this recommendation to a banana stand. Lower overhead, less capex, less WIP, less inventory. Shirley a banana stand would be the modern way...

BTW, step 2 is still "???" :D
There's always money in the BANANA STAND!

Sent via CNC 88HS

Become an ISO certified Toolmaker. You'll be rolling in the dough... at your night job delivering pizzas...

Start with a great big pile of money and ambition and watch it it whittled and beaten down over the years by unrealistic customers who do not like paying bills. Hopefully you will have some good customers who will make it worthwhile but the rest will drive you insane.

Start with a great big pile of money and ambition and watch it it whittled and beaten down over the years by unrealistic customers who do not like paying bills. Hopefully you will have some good customers who will make it worthwhile but the rest will drive you insane.

Just remember my comment from a post I made years ago here:

"There's no such thing as a 15 minute job".

The best advice I have is to keep your day job, and do the shop on the side. Don't even consider quitting until you're making more from your shop than from your job, AND you're turning down orders because you don't have enough time.

It helps if the day job is something other than machining. Throwing chips for 10 hours at work makes you not want to come home and do exactly the same thing all night.

Find a customer, or make your own product, that's solid enough to pay your bills when everything else dries up. It doesn't have to be enough to make a profit. But you need something steady, that's big enough to pay your overhead. And take care of that customer like it's your own family. No matter how much money you're making, I'd recommend keeping the day job until you find this customer.

If 5-7k Euro all you have than I wouldn't start just yet. Go at least for 30k then you will be able to buy a good enough machine for ~10k and have the rest for other tooling, since everything is costly in this industry.

My suggestion is to open a liquor store instead of a machine shop. Even during a recession you will still make a lot of money.

If that ^^^^ is step 1, step 2 is to buy a hotdog cart.

There's always money in the BANANA STAND!

Sent via CNC 88HS

Tip: start with more money ;)

Become an ISO certified Toolmaker. You'll be rolling in the dough... at your night job delivering pizzas...

Are things this bad in the industry that the best answer to "How to start a shop?" is "Don't do it"?

Obviously the thread starter asked too vague a question.

If I learned anything about starting a shop (and I'm just sticking my toe in now)... it seems like "don't quit your day job yet" is the #1 rule.

Back