What's new
What's new

Titans of CNC Kennametal Promotions

metalmadness

Hot Rolled
Alright alright, say what you will say about Titans of CNC: Academy, but there's one small detail you may have overlooked if you ever watch titans of cnc on youtube.

Titan has partnered with the literal Devil, Kennametal (jk) to offer some of their highest performing endmills at a pretty solid discount for non-bulk buyers such as myself.

Now, I moved from Accupro 3fl ZrN EMs to Helical Solutions 3fl ZrN EMs awhile back. Theyre like 40-50% cheaper thru my regional distributor than the Accupros and they cut a hell of a lot better. I stocked my shop with thousands of $$$ worth, and I likely will keep doing it.

BUT, with this "new" Kennametal promotion where you can buy the Harvi I TE, Harvi 3, and KOR5 aluminum EMs for steep discounts, I couldn't say no. 1/2" KOR5 from my distributor is like $50 i think. Not bad

EDIT: Harvi series EMs are for steels and superalloys, not Alum

Anyway I picked up some 3/8 and 1/2 KOR5 to test out because we hog alot of aluminum. Needless to say I seriously have never seen an endmill that can cut like this endmill can cut. Popped it in my shrink fit holder. My params may be a little conservative but I only have 15hp to work with. 15% radial, 2-3xD, 300-400 IPM. That is no joke, and Im sure I could push those cutters even faster or more aggressively. Titan's not joking when he says these are beasts. I mainly prefer these now to my helical solutions because they can just go faster, and the chips are small, but it also leaves amazing finishes.

I got some Harvi 1 TEs to try out for steels, and just holding it in my hand, Ive never seen geometry quite like this. Certainly not a "twisted face" or chip gashes behind the flute. "Faceted relief" for removing harmonics....all good! Im gonna test this out today but I have no doubt itll perform just as well as the KOR5.

The point is, I would HIGHLY recommend checking out this Kennametal promo because you can get some new tools for cheap!

Alright, end my praise session

Would be curious to hear other feedback on these tools. As somebody who likes to buy good tools - in the past I have been extremely underwhelmed by Kennametal's aluminum specific geometries. For reference, we have found a good 3FL chipbreaker to give the best MRR (out of a solid endmil) on our 50HP / 20k spindle. I'm also really skeptical of anything that Titan is schilling... :skep:

I too have been wholly underwhelmed by their aluminum offerings. To be fair, this is only one EM that I think is great, whereas Helical Solutions offers countless types, sizes, and geometry. I wouldn't hesitate to buy ANY of those, but not so much with Kennametal.

Right but what about when Kennametal ends the promo? Are those same end mills worth the jacked up price they're gonna charge?And by jacked up, the 1/2" Kor5's were $250 iirc.

Would be curious to hear other feedback on these tools. As somebody who likes to buy good tools - in the past I have been extremely underwhelmed by Kennametal's aluminum specific geometries. For reference, we have found a good 3FL chipbreaker to give the best MRR (out of a solid endmil) on our 50HP / 20k spindle. I'm also really skeptical of anything that Titan is schilling... :skep:

Also its highly unusual to have an aluminum endmill with 5 flutes and shallow flute gulleys. Seems counterintuitive. But it works

Right but what about when Kennametal ends the promo? Are those same end mills worth the jacked up price they're gonna charge?And by jacked up, the 1/2" Kor5's were $250 iirc.

Im sure they will, but not $250.

My distr. is currently offering 5/8diam x 1.875 LOC for $170, which is not part of the promo

My distr. is currently offering 5/8diam x 1.875 LOC for $170, which is not part of the promo

That sounds a little better. I probably didn't remember correctly but I do know they weren't cheap at all even when comparing them to other big name brands.

I bought a KOR5 but haven't tried it yet. The Harvi 3s are amazing and even at $150+ were worth every penny in super alloys, so at $56 a pop I've been buying them 10 at a time trying to stock up. I have used them a lot in Inconel 600/625 and Monel 400, they haul ass and have great tool life.

For shit & giggles I looked on MSC's site. Now I know it's not a true price test but with no discount at all, their list price for a 1/2"x 1-1/2" Kor5 is $205.

BUT

That's with the fancy non-pullout shank. That's gotta be why I remember the price so high.
Do they make 1/2" styles with a regular shank?

I had to ask my MSC rep to quote the endmills to get the promo pricing, the MSC website did not do it on it's own. The KOR5 1/2x1-1/2 with the safe lock shank was $56. You can also get the promo pricing buying direct from Kennametal's website.

I had to ask my MSC rep to quote the endmills to get the promo pricing, the MSC website did not do it on it's own. The KOR5 1/2x1-1/2 with the safe lock shank was $56. You can also get the promo pricing buying direct from Kennametal's website.

That's a good price. How much are the Safe Lock holders? And are they worth it?

15% radial, 2-3xD, 300-400 IPM

So like 30 cubes? in aluminum? Doesn't seem like anything impressive from here. You should easily be able to hit those numbers with any aluminum specific carbide endmill.
Biggest problem with Titan is he doesn't know what MRR is and thinks big numbers are all about high RPM and Feedrates. I guess that's what gets clicks on YouTube.

So like 30 cubes? in aluminum? Doesn't seem like anything impressive from here. You should easily be able to hit those numbers with any aluminum specific carbide endmill.
Biggest problem with Titan is he doesn't know what MRR is and thinks big numbers are all about high RPM and Feedrates. I guess that's what gets clicks on YouTube.

Yes yes nothing super exciting at 30 cubes. but I also mentioned im not running them to the max...it has 1.5" of axial cut length so in some cases i can run 3xD at those same speeds. My 15hp spindle is the limiting factor here. I haven't tried to fully max it yet, but compared to my helical solutinos tooling it is a big improvement in surface finish and chip management.

Ppl.....if you're buying endmills straight off MSC are getting HOSED on pricing no matter which brand you're buying.

I run a small small shop and I have a distributor to get me manufacturer's pricing.

I would highly recommend anyone who wants to not get bummed on tooling costs to find a tool representative or distributor to provide your end mills and tooling for you.

Do not pay retail pricing for tooling.

I disagree that he doesn't know what MRR is. Do you think they just run fast feed rates for show? No they do it for the MRR. Im not a Titan fanboy but they literally show their cutter values on every cutting video.

This video shows 50cubes/min unless my maths are wrong

Satisfying Aggressive Hog Out | Incredible Roughing Tool | Doosan DNM 5700L - YouTube

Not like any of us have 300hp to work with
Aluminum Material Removal Rate New World Record? |

Modern Machine Shop

Kennametal makes tools everywhere in the world as do all of the brand names.
One can not buy "100%" made USA carbide cutting tools. This has been impossible back into the late 60s.
No ore left here and in China and other places dig it up with shovel in your backyard.
Bob

I am happy to buy tooling from other countries, such as Israel, Germany, England, Japan, etc. I will not buy inserts made in China.

Refer to the forum below where fellow machinists note differing quality between Kennametal inserts made here and China. This is from 2012. From then until now, Kennametal has built additional factories (perhaps sweatshops, idk) in China.

Kennametal making inserts in CHINA now

Back