What's new
What's new

Too Old?? 02' Haas Mini Mill

Machinist_max

Aluminum
There is a 2002 Haas mini mill for sale close to me.
IS there a reason to be scared of that age of controller?
I am used to the newer styles with the color screens with graphics.

Comes with tooling and the 4th axis.

If it is in good shape, I would say no. I worked for a Haas distributor back around this time and the controls were pretty bulletproof.

No reason to be any more scared of an 02 than lots of other years - anything pre-Coldfire II is going to be a big ticket if it goes bad, so buy something newer than an 07, or be aware that if the processor goes bad it'll be close to $10k to have the controller replaced (with a brand-new Next-Generation) from Haas.

Personally, I'd be a little wary of a Mini with a 4th on it - they have extremely limited Z as it is, and the riser (often ordered together with the 4th axis option) only salvages so much utility. If it doesn't have the riser (4" column spacer) I'm not sure I would be interested: A standard mini struggles to do a tool change with a drill chuck & bit in the toolchanger and a Kurt vise on the table.

But if you have your reasons for wanting a Mini, and this one is local, there's nothing specific to be afraid of. That said, the newer ones aren't that much more money either.

Edit: What's the asking price, if you don't mind sharing?

It all comes down to two things:
does it work for your application? Price?
As mentioned: if the processor board goes south, it is a $10k minimum repair. Keep that factor in mind when haggling on the price.

8500$ with a toolsetter and loaded on my trailer.
Dont think I will take the 4th, never used one and no planning on it.

My shop has very very limited space, hence the mini.
I do alot of smaller alu parts, lots of 3/4" thick plates 9"X9"

Currently drafting some paperwork to go with the down payment tomorrow.

Company bought it to run a batch of small parts and hasn't been used in a heavy daily production since 2011. Ran like once a month in aluminum and still under power

For that price I would walk out there from the west coast and pull it back on a wagon if I had to. Screaming deal. Don't be afraid of the 4th Axis. If it is one of the 5C rotaries, they work great on a mini.

Space is limited on them...hence the name Mini-Mill. Also a minimill is lighter on power and torque...but it's a mini...take mini cuts and take 'em fast.

Does it have a 4th axis or is it wired for a 4th axis? Big difference as a rotary 4th is a chunk of change and if included machine is a steal. Wired for 4th is nice...never know when it will come in handy, just buy one and go. FYI- not all their 4ths are Plug and play, brushless or brushed may need new cables or a converter box to make work. Unless just running using an M-switch.
Haas makes 4th axis work so easy...layout as flat work, enter diameter in setting, lock the axis part revolves in relation to and with a quick g code the program wraps itself around the part. 4th is also nice to machine other sides of parts.

To your question, I have Haas machines going back to 91 still running 8-10 hrs, 5-6 days every week for years. While I do cut alum, brass and plastic, I also cut a good amount of steel, alloy steel and SS. Controls are solid, easy to use and yes Processor may go bad with high dollar Haas replacement...but they can also be rebuilt as an option. To date only one of my 8 Haas machines ever needed a processor replaced with years of time racked up on them.
Good luck.

Last edited:
I have a 2001 Mini Mill that works great cutting titanium and glass reinforced plastics plus alu and steel. It is possible to replace the old crt monitor with a flat screen but mine is still working fine.

Only thing I had a problem with was the oil air spindle that this machine came with. It used so much air that I would have needed a screw type compressor to keep up. So I had the spindle rebuilt with greased bearings and a light taper touch up and it just keeps making parts.

For the price you are looking at, how can you go wrong?

Buy it!Take the 4th axis, best to have and not need than need and not have!

As mentioned there is height limitation. Like any machine - work it within its design.

Good luck!

Only thing I had a problem with was the oil air spindle that this machine came with. It used so much air that I would have needed a screw type compressor to keep up. So I had the spindle rebuilt with greased bearings and a light taper touch up and it just keeps making parts.

You know...on some models there is a separate regulator for the Spindle/Air Purge. I bought a used machine that used a ton of air even when idle. HFO had me check that regulators pressure then told me to back way off and I went from being able to use spindle as a hand dryer to a light hiss like my other machines.

8500$ with a toolsetter and loaded on my trailer.
Dont think I will take the 4th, never used one and no planning on it.

My shop has very very limited space, hence the mini.
I do alot of smaller alu parts, lots of 3/4" thick plates 9"X9"

Currently drafting some paperwork to go with the down payment tomorrow.

That's a raging, screaming, house-on-fire deal. I wouldn't even bother posting about whether or not to buy it, because you could re-sell it on eBay without touching a thing for 3 times that much at today's prices on Minis.

Edit: On reflection, I don't know whether to be skeptical about the machine, or feel bad for the seller....

For that price I would walk out there from the west coast and pull it back on a wagon if I had to. Screaming deal. Don't be afraid of the 4th Axis. If it is one of the 5C rotaries, they work great on a mini.

I didn't even think about the 5C rotary.

But seriously, that price is stupid ridiculous. If the $8500 includes the 4th and toolsetter and everything else, I'd feel guilty and probably try to give the senile old guy selling it some more money...

Ugh, I can never get a deal on machines to save my life - can you tell I'm a little bitter? :crazy:

I have a 2001, runs like a top. If "your" machine is the one in Milwaukie, the pics are kinda rough looking. REALLY check it over. It doesn't look terribly loved...
Best of Luck
Chris

it depends on what you want to do with it. for anything serious, buy something else.

I know what you mean, I bet I've only made a couple million dollars with the '01 Mini that I bought for $13k during the recession. :)

That being said... they are limited in size, RPM, HP, memory, tool changer capacity, coolant capacity, rigidity, and chip evacuation. Then again, the operator (me) is also limited in all of the above as well, so me and the mini's get along just peachy. Damn thing runs all day, every day with very little down time. If I ever get off my lazy rear end and hire some employees and grow the business, I would very much consider having four more of them.

I shall let you all know more info tomorrow when I take the drive there.
Doesn't have a chip auger... but I am assuming I could add one?
Im used to using a shovel to clean out my machines anyways.

I did get more of a story from the guy after a hour long phone call.
The guy who currently owns it is a cnc machinist for some company and bought it from them when they had it in storage, with the plans to start running his own production.
Well that plan has changed and the guy needs it out of his building and just wants to recoup the 8 grand he paid for it initially.
He has had it for the last 6 years.

Yes, its the one fulcircleny saw. Its just dirty from sitting.

I am looking for suggestions on strapping this to my flatbed.
I have moved many machines and have a cdl, but have never moved something with a open top enclosure. I am afraid of twisting it.
IS there pockets I can chain at the base or hook my binders to?

Back