What's new
What's new

HAAS Mini Mill Question

wizardofdaws

Plastic
Hi, I'm new to the forum. *waves* Looks like an awesome community! I hope this is the right board for this question.

I was hoping someone might have some advice for me. We have a HAAS CNC Mini Mill. We need someone to convert our existing files to ones that are compatible with the HAAS. We don't have that expertise in-house, unfortunately. I was hoping there might be some kind of business or service in Arizona (or anywhere, thanks to the web) that could do this for us. Does such a creature exist? Or can anyone recommend a technician that may be able to contract with us for this work? TIA.

what were they programmed for originally? I can get you converted over to use on your Haas in no time flat. We can do it as a flat rate per program or contract it out per hour depending on how many files that you have also. Just have to talk and see the best way to help you out in cost.

what were they programmed for originally? I can get you converted over to use on your Haas in no time flat. We can do it as a flat rate per program or contract it out per hour depending on how many files that you have also. Just have to talk and see the best way to help you out in cost.

That would be great! The files are DXF format, compatible with our OMAX Waterjet.

Being a lazy old grump I'd try the easy way first. Assuming you have a CAD/CAM that does a good job of importing .dxf. Import the file(s) then export with a Haas post. 2D should be a cinch.
Note: not all CAD systems import .dxf properly. Too many different versions (version dejur). ;-)

There is nothing similar between an Omax waterjet and a Haas milling machine. About the best you hope for is to bring the existing DXF files into a real CAD/CAM system and reprogram them from scratch. Not to speak down to you, but DXF is a drawing format. Machine tools use G&M code. A cam system is used to apply toolpaths to drawings (or solid models) in order to machine said parts. You will need to find someone that does contract programming to import your dxf and create G&M code files. This can be done remotely, but more often is done on site and the programmer makes edits and alterations after the first article. Fortunately, all of your parts are dxf files, and previously done on a waterjet; therefore, by definition they are 2D and probably pretty easy.

Who is going to setup and run this machine? You don't say how old this mini mill is but some have a DXF importer. I can't imagine running a machine I could not program what if you need to change something in the program? I am not knocking you I started the same way and when I started I thought I could just hire someone to do the programming and I would run the machine and it really doesn't work that way. Good news is there are a ton of youtube videos and a lot of people know your control so help is there when you need it.

Back