What's new
What's new

Tool diameter probing

metalmadness

Hot Rolled
Hey folks,

Ive been running Renishaw RTS tool setters for years. Never once have I probed the diameters of my tools.

Is there any great value in doing tool diameter probing?

DO you folks do this process?

obviously this could be useful for wear compensation.

-CM

Never bother. I usually start my comps at nominal or even a 0.0005 under. A tools diameter, even measured, and what it cuts in real world conditions, although related, are not definitive. A test cut is your best tool radius setting device.

I like to do it with laser presetters to check runout. It is somewhat effective if everything is well calibrated. When our Blum laser is freshly cleaned and tuned it can hold a couple tenths on an interpolated hole using the comps straight off the presetter.

On the plunger style - I just don't see any value in checking diameters. Maybe if you ran a lot of resharps, or saws/keyseats where some manufacturers have like a +.015/-0in tolerance. I had a program set once to check form (for tool breakage) on the plunger, with the idea being to catch chipped/broken flutes before total failure happens, but ultimately decided that using the tool breakage detection tied to the load monitor was more effective.

If you run a lot of resharps, or are running lights out, I can see a benefit to it.

We don't use it all. If it's a tight tolerance feature I just comp it a bit to see how the tools cutting, then let it eat.

I will with thread mills that I don't now the exact diameter for. It can save a good bit of fussing with them.

I use it to set lengths and check for tool breakage. I use the work probe to measure bores, bosses, etc to adjust cutter comp.

I guess never say never... A lot of the comments above make valid points. Especially the laser. I don't know their specs, but I'm betting for reading diameters they're better then an RTS. I know if I had one I'd certainly try it... for fun. For lights out and tool breakage I doubt they can be beat. Unless you're running a lot of odd number flutes and don't own a V anvil mic, I think measuring the tools with a mic is quicker and easier and at least as accurate as a the bounce off setter. That is if you don't make mistakes punching the numbers into the control.

I also agree that probing machined surfaces for size or position and adjusting wear with those values, makes minced meat out of any tool setter.

The only time I probe for diameter is when I'm wanting to get close on some oddball tool, threadmill, keyseat, etc etc. Otherwise it's just a waste of time, imo. I would rather program off wear comp anyhow.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

1. Coping with the task of tool diameter measurement, both laser and electromechanical tool setters are equally not reliable. As the result of lack of correlation between the calibration process and actual measurement of working tool (runout, tool length, rotation speed difference etc.), the achieved data can not be assumed as tool's true diameter.

2. Both types of tool setters can however be effectively used to accurately measure the wear of the tool diameter.

3. For tool length measurement accuracy and repeatability electromechanical tool setters outperform the laser based.

4. Form scan (if anybody is really ready to rely on that) can of course be performed by laser systems only.

5. The only known to me system which really copes with all aspects of tool measurement task is Marposs VTS.

Yea all of the above are scenarios in which I could see measuring diameters to be useful. Almost all of our end mills are from factory and like many have said, not worth it. For threadmills, key cutters, boring bars, that could be useful for sure!

I've found the tool diameter probing and in-control comp to be generally be an improvement over just using the nominal tool diameter. Not as definitive as test cuts, but an improvement. So, if its get you to "in tolerance", then great.

Back