What's new
What's new

Tool holder fretting, schunk tendo e

Stirling

Hot Rolled
I've been noticing fretting on my carbide endmill, reducer collet and inside bore of the tool holder, is tbis common with hyd. tool holders

Mild steel cold rolled
2009 haas vf2, 10,000 rpm, 300ipm
Kennemetals Harvey 1 te, 3/8 endmill
1.00 doc, 0.05" woc, choked right up(1.25" out of tool holder)
Air blast dry cutting
Schunk tendo e-compact with 3/8 reduced sleeve

It cut fantastic, very happy with it
But each element is showing fretting at the front of the tool holder interface... so there has to be some kind of vibration? I did not hear it tho

Thoughts or just keep running like that?
I'll post photos tomorrow of the fretting

Here is a YouTube of the cut
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4Cs5R8rYfFA

IMG_9210[1].jpgIMG_9915[1].jpgIMG_9208[2].jpgIMG_9212[1].jpgIMG_9212[1].jpg

Last edited:
You might think about going shrink for the 3/8" tool. Eliminate the collet and (as long as the toolholder and tool are in tolerance) will hold until tool breakage (usually).

Hack tip - there's a number of very cheap induction coil driver boards available on Ebay, so making a DIY shrinker isn't that expensive. Not as fancy as the pro setups, but vastly cheaper, and could make shrink affordable (not that hydraulic holders are cheap).

Out of box thinking? - It's worth getting a pull stud dynamometer reading from the spindle, a machine that old with the original belleville stack probably needs it replaced. Even if the spindle taper looks good, if it is moving it could transmit that additional vibration to the tool clamping area.

Lastly, try out some other endmills, a change in flute count or other geometry may change vibration patterns enough to reduce or eliminate the fretting.

EDIT, photos added to original post

the fretting is not terrible, but im trying to decide on a tool holder system I want to stock up on. will use for many years (low volume shop)
No fretting on spindle or tool holder taper

i have not checked the spindle pull stud, BUT though it is a 09, it only has under 300 hours and very well maintained, came from a university, was only used my a on staff machinist for professor pet projects, more dust than wear on it

i have run a few different type endmills, 4-6 flute, variables, all that, still seeing the fretting, maybe is totally normal and acceptable? was happy with the hold/performance, just don't want to buy 5 and sleeves and turn out they last a year because im damaging them.

I'd like to try shrinks, but don't want the excessive tool extension, need to get my hands on a thick stubbly

Thanks for any input!

I'd like to try shrinks, but don't want the excessive tool extension, need to get my hands on a thick stubbly

Thanks for any input!

That's what she said! [obligatory].

There's lots of shrink tooling vendors, and you might find the shorty you're looking for already available with some searching. Or, contact Maritool to see if they'll make some for you.

Here's a couple links to videos on the DIY induction heaters I mentioned. If you go this route do be careful, they're obviously not as "oops proof" as the commercial setups.

Chinese 1000 W ZVS Induction Heater VS. Home Made - YouTube

DIY Shrink Fit Induction Heater - YouTube

1000W ZVS 20A Low Voltage Induction Heating Board Module Flyback Driver Heater | eBay

Hydraulic chucks (all hydraulic chucks) have an expansion sleeve that only starts a bit further down the bore.

The area where you're seeing the fretting on the tool is because it's not actually clamped around there. The line on the sleeve is where the collapse actually begins. This effect is made more apparent by the use of the sleeve, which is rigid around the collar, so it cannot properly collapse in that area.

It's not at all uncommon to see fretting in that area, but it usually happens as a result of pushing the tool too far - running it until it is too far gone and has excessive deflection, or using a very long tool with lots of cutting forces. I have actually broken the shank of a tool in that area, it was a steel shank high feed, and it fretted until it broke.

Back