What's new
What's new

Is this tool holder trashed? should I just toss it?

assface421

Aluminum
Hello everyone.

Me and my partner here at the shop had a small crash into the part. It was a programing error that we have corrected. The MCLNR holder made a rapid move into the part and took a chunk off the leading edge of the holder smashing the insert and shim into many little pieces. I have Posted pictures. Should I just trash it? Can I save it? What else could I use it for?

Thanks for any input you guys might have.
-Assface421

20160921_084610.jpg

20160921_084620.jpg

20160921_084629.jpg

Can't tell the parts are still in it.
The nose damage wont matter a little missing stock makes no difference. The floor under the seat does.
I think it still good but may need some touch up with a file and the NL pin is probably hurt and obviously you need a seat.
I might know places that will make it look like new :).
In a big plant this goes in the rework pile, in a small shop it get reused with a touch up from a file.

third pic tells me, it's totally fixable. I have fixed so many crashed tools over the years it's not even funny... certainly not crashed by me though.

long as 90% of the seat is intact it can be recovered to a regular level of function... even 80% it should be okay. if the threads in a screw-down style are trashed, it's probably garbage... but since this is a clamp-down CNMG we're talking about, I'm sure it can be saved.

Pin and clamp shit... Even if you didn't crash it, I'd throw it in the garbage.. *

That new fangled stuff with the single top clamp that pulls back is the cats ass...
Exkenna has one as his avatar.. Once you use one, you'll hate that pin and clamp
garbage as much as I do..

ALWAYS buy your stick tools in pairs or 3's.. They are cheap enough and nothing is worse than F'ing yourself
from a little bump, and all of a sudden everything comes to a screeching halt because you don't have a $75 tool holder.

*toss it in the backup drawer, especially if you have a spare seat and screw.. Even if you don't have a spare seat and screw
it may save your ass someday, and if not, occasionally you need a bit of 1" square (or 3/4") hardened stock for something or other.

. if the threads in a screw-down style are trashed, it's probably garbage... .

Depends on price, bad threads you just plug and put in new.
Wrecked all the way back to the the threads you have to rebuild the entire nose so maybe not worth it.
If damage is too close to the NL hole or screw sometimes we will just hack the entire thing off on the grinder set the TIG on high and rebuild the whole shooting match.
This is not a $40 fix so a new $50 or less holder becomes cheaper.

These are kind of thowaway toolholders but this one still looks good to me.
But hey I'm all in favor of tossing it even with less hurt....... "Eat um up, we'll make more".

this one still looks good to me.

I agree with Bob. I've used them like that for a long time. Like he said ya might need to tune up the pocket with a file or stone a bit.

What no pictures of the part? That's a nice one btw. Lol...

Brent

Edit: I'd use it as a finisher though.

Last edited:
I've tig welded a few holders to get by at other shops or cause it was no longer available, although it "worked" they never worked like new.
These are cheap enough just buy another and if that old one has any life left put it on a manual machine.

Its trashed.
Send it and any inserts you have for it in a flat rate box to me, I will dispose of it for you free of charge :)

As others have said, file/stone the area under where the seat goes and put it back to work, if it machines OK use it, if it chatters or does not repeat well when you change insert, chunk it.

Make a drawer called "damaged tool holders" and throw it in there. As long as you purchase the same style any usable part may be needed in a pinch some day. believe it or not tool holders can get grenaded without operator error. Did you forget to cut air, and then use the rapid and feed overrides until everything looks good? Remember over confidence is the enemy of machinists at all levels, not just the rookies.

Could you link an example? I'm not sure what type of clamping style you are referring to. thanks.

DDJN, Right Hand, 93 Degree Lead Angle, DNMG 517 - MSC

0485051-23.jpg

Back