What's new
What's new

Tool holders for Mori lathe

viper

Titanium
As some already know, we bought a Mori SL-15 and is a first for us in the lathe business. We need to tool it up. I guess we need a crash coarse on insert cutters for these and we especially need to find holders for the turret. Poked around ebay a bit but can't find anything. Maybe not searching for the right words.

Does the mori use a special holder or is there a name for the type that I have like VDI or something? I would prefer aftermarket or even used until we know what we like and prefer. Thanks again

VDI tooling is in a league of it's own. If your turret has nothing but holes with a sort of gear rack in it, that's what you'd need then. If it's somewhat standard then you'll need to find the center hight and go from there, turret in the rear or towards the top then the tools are normally upside down. If you want a pick of the way my tools are clamped in the turret, I can email them to you.
Dave

Yeah that pic might just help. I am going to poke around online tonight to try to get an idea. Yeah, our Mori is a standard setup (not VDI, that was just an example) with bolt holes and coolant ports. The lathe is a slant bed style with a 12 position turret and a 4 bolt pattern on all odd numbers for center drills or something and the evens are notched for insert bars of .75in. I am really clueless as to how to tool one up yet.
The biggest problem is adapting from our milling ways. I would love some type of collet setup so I can install taps and such. Contrary to other input, I am going to try to rigid tap with this machine because it can save money and hassle.

Is there a collet setup for something like this?

Also, where can a guy get schooled up on inserts for turning? We still get lost in milling inserts and now learning turning tools, sheesh.

We picked up a Mori DL-150 and had to get some holders from Mori. They crossed referenced the part numbers with a SL-15 so they must be similar. Mori had all in stock and the only other place I could find that had holders was Global CNC but there was a 3 week lead time involved and we did not want to wait.....

Ok, will try and snap you a pic yet tonight. I'm still schooling myself on lathe inserts also, I have had a lathe for sometime now but much smaller than the new (to me) one. I've been using CCMT inserts 80 deg. and like those for finishing, can't really rough with it, it'll chip. For a collet I've been using Erickson DA extensions in the boring bar holders, it works pretty good. I also made sleeves (yeah, I know they can be bought) to hold various size boring bars. My bar holders bolt on the end of the turret. You could use a Blitz/Collis style tap holder in the boring bar holder? I would give you some axial float so the tap doesn't break. (only a suggestion) Rigid tapping "may" be an option on a 0T fanuc, haven't tried it on mine yet (haven't had the need so far)
Dave

A few suggestions, and I hope others will chime in - for steel inserts, CNMG(80° diamond) or WNMG(trigon) 432 to rough, VNMG 332 to finish. Chipbreaker style is important, we use Iscar TF for almost everything. On heavy roughing we use an Iscar CNMX 452 insert, which needs a specific seat for it in the toolholder. We do most of our turning with right hand tools with the spindle turning counterclockwise except for very heavy cuts we use a left hand and turn the spindle clockwise to push the tool toward the ways. I'm told that is 'old fashioned'. For aluminum, CNMP, or various high positive inserts.

Crap, so what I am hearing is these holders are special to the Mori stuff and I get to pay through the nose for them?

Are you talking about toolholders and boring bars? Or are you talking about bolt on tool blocks? One's standard, and the other's specific to the machine and priced accordingly.

The tools blocks are what I am looking for I guess. They would have a 4 bolt pattern and bolt directly to the turret.

There is actually a few of those VDI holders
currently listed on Ebay.

The four bolt blocks are hit and miss. there
were a few diffrent sizes on those depending
on the machine, Be carefull, ask the seller the
hole location dimensions before bidding.

Wayne

Hey,

Guys if you need help with these toolings to be made new, i can be of help VDI or Standard stuff anything is possible.

Pali

Mudflap said "We do most of our turning with right hand tools with the spindle turning counterclockwise except for very heavy cuts we use a left hand and turn the spindle clockwise to push the tool toward the ways."
My take on it is spindle direction should always be referenced by looking from the spindle towards the chuck (the same as any machining center), therefore M3 is clockwise and M4 is counterclockwise.

Gary M.

I just got a Mori CL 20 and needed to get a couple tool blocks. I ended up going with Global CNC, they have to custom make them so it takes about 3 weeks (still 2 to go).

All modern cnc lathes I know of use M3 for counterclockwise, M4 for clockwise. This standard is based on looking TOWARD the chuck, from the tailstock end. Same perspective as a tool on the turret will see the chuck.
Thus, the common "upside down" turning tool will use an M3...same for standard drills, taps, etc.

On our Mori's, M3 is spindle forward (it rotates toward the operator). I always thought it was clockwise in rotation because I was taught to look at the tailstock end from the chuck. I don't know, maybe I was taught wrong.......

So anyway, does anyone else know where to get aftermarket tool blocks for this Mori? I did not know this would not be a standard part that was available. I guess if I get to "buck up" then what exactly do I want? If I am paying for new Mori stuff, I guess I should know what I need.

If you mean boring bar holders that bolt onto the turret, I'd go for 1.5" diameter with through tool coolant. I paid about $230 each for the ones I recently bought from Cincinnati for a Talon.

cnctoolcat, You say "modern cnc lathes I know of use M3 for counterclockwise, M4 for clockwise. This standard is based on looking TOWARD the chuck" Who’s standard? I'm not saying my machine is different than yours; my machine in M3 also goes counterclockwise when looking from the tailstock. I'm only saying that a spindle is a spindle whether on a mill or lathe so why have two different ways of describing direction? I have a Gildemeister 410 lathe bought new in 2004 with a Heidenhain 4290 control, a popular machine in Europe not so much here, and I'm looking on page 183 of the control manual where they are listing M03 as (CW) and M04 as (CCW) so they are looking from the spindle towards the chuck or tailstock if you prefer. Which I believe makes more sense because this is the same way you describe spindle direction on a milling machine. Here is a link to the same manual, http://filebase.heidenhain.de/doku/cncpilot4290/pdf/374%20124-21.pdf . Does your lathe have documentation stating otherwise? Maybe some manufactures’ change it as you say. Sorry didn't mean to hijack this thread.

Gary M.

Viper,
You might try calling Trudex Inc. We have about 40
Cnc lathes in our shop and sometimes need extra
tool blocks.Trudex has always been able to help us out.They are in Brighton Michigan. 810-231-2400

Rick

Back