What's new
What's new

Tool Length Measurement on Surface Plate

boosted

Stainless
So I don't trust the laser on one of our machines, and would like to set tool heights on the granite until we get everything recalibrated. Surely somebody makes an adapter for this?

This morning we just dropped the HSK tools on a pair of 1-2-3 blocks. Even a ground block with a big hole in it would be fine, but 15 minutes on the web didn't return anything. I'm tempted to just make something real quick, but we don't have a surface grinder.

Any other thoughts for an economical option that will get us by for a couple of months? We will only be checking tools that make face contact.

You'll need to locate on the taper to get meaningful results.
Face, bore the taper in a block, and face the back parallel.

Measure the tool from the tip to the face of the spindle while in the machine.
Do the same in your homemade block.

There likely will be a difference. This is your "correction factor"

Measure your other tools and apply the correction factor.

Aren't the HSK holders a dual contact? If so I would think you'd be ok with setting the way he is. That might not be how they function but it was my understanding of it.

Yes, that's why I specified, we are only checking tools that make face contact. No need to worry about the taper.

The 1-2-3 blocks work fine, I'm just thinking there has to be a better way. Perhaps a purpose-built tool, or just a 2-4-6 block with a big hole in the center?

This may be a case where you'll spend more time looking for the perfect solution instead of just milling something yourself and sending it out for grinding.

no need for that with HSK holders. the face is the reference, not the taper

I too looked for something off the shelf for this purpose. Closest I found was buying an “adapter” from one of the many companies who sell stand-alone toolsetters or shrink fit machines (haimer, zoller, parlec, etc). This was for 40 taper though, so taper was crucial for the gage. I ended up getting a dorian brand made in italy tool setter sleeve for something like $475.

So I don't trust the laser on one of our machines, and would like to set tool heights on the granite until we get everything recalibrated. Surely somebody makes an adapter for this?
If you're only doing this until you get "everything re-calibrated", I would be using a dial indicator type device on the table of the machine and a simple Macro to measure the Tool Length in the machine. You only need to get the distance from the face of the Spindle Nose, when at the Reference Return Position, to the Dial Indicator Device, to use as a Constant in the calculations and then in use, the Tool Length Offset to registered directly in the Offset Registry, or use DPRNT to output the Tool Length to an external Device (PC, Laptop etc).

Regards,

Bill

Back