Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by boosted View Post
    I suspect this is a training issue. Almost every major builder has been offering a supplemental tool management system on the controller for over a decade. It's the only logical way to manage a 1000+ tool library. A lot of folks have no idea that this function is on their machine.

Depending on machine, my tool calls are always something to the effect of "M6 T500 G43 HA". The H value never changes, it just pulls from the database. Calling an offset from the offset page is OLD SCHOOL.
    Enlighten me please. Pulls from what database? In your cam, like T500 is set to a 1/2 endmill... I am probably not thinking of this correctly I guess. If I use T13 (for us always a 1/16th endmill), my cam outputs T13H13, and if it was T132900 it would output T132900H132900 so... I am confused by what you mean I guess. *

* I understand not using the offset page kind of, if you mean using G10 (or whatever to load offsets) from a central tool crib/tool setter or whatever. But even that would just dump the numbers in the offset page...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1974 View Post
    The older EC400pp had 70 tools I think.

I like what rob said, get it done in the software side (and people too!), then move it onto machines. Nothing worse than having a new system that one person, or one machine doesn't work with to ruin your workflow.
    Ya, 100 tools seems to be the max on the 40 taper machines now, I was looking at the 50 taper machines.

How would you handle this on the software side?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by goooose View Post
    Ya, 100 tools seems to be the max on the 40 taper machines now, I was looking at the 50 taper machines.

How would you handle this on the software side?
    I have no clue, I was just seconding what Rob said, in my mind I was thinking make sure everyone and all the softwares are all running on the same page, then go to the machines. I don't know how/what to use to do that.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

On Okuma, Mazak, MORI MAPPSV, and Siemens 840D, (and probably others) the tool offset data can be saved directly to the tool.

On my Okuma the tool height call is:
    G56 HA for every tool

On my DMG the tool height call is:
    D1 for every tool

The machine knows to read the offset data for the active tool, because group management is active. The CAM posts are configured so that the T# and H# are separate.

All of these machines have the ability to store tool data on tools that are not currently loaded in the machine. So you can touch off a tool once, then save the data in the controller when you unload the tool.

For FANUC machines, it's a total shit-show, and the "tool database" is entirely dependent on the builder. I would assume that Makino has it figured out, but don't have personal experience. All of the others I have used with tool management active.

Here is the tool data page on the Okuma.
    okuma-1.jpg

Here is the database for UNLOADED tools. It will bring in the name and height when moved to the magazine.
    okuma-2.jpg

Here is the Siemens tool offset page. Tools that are unloaded will remain in the controller in an unassigned magazine location.
    siemens.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by boosted View Post
    On Okuma, Mazak, MORI MAPPSV, and Siemens 840D, (and probably others) the tool offset data can be saved directly to the tool.

On my Okuma the tool height call is:
    G56 HA for every tool

On my DMG the tool height call is:
    D1 for every tool

The machine knows to read the offset data for the active tool, because group management is active. The CAM posts are configured so that the T# and H# are separate.

All of these machines have the ability to store tool data on tools that are not currently loaded in the machine. So you can touch off a tool once, then save the data in the controller when you unload the tool.

For FANUC machines, it's a total shit-show, and the "tool database" is entirely dependent on the builder. I would assume that Makino has it figured out, but don't have personal experience. All of the others I have used with tool management active.

Here is the tool data page on the Okuma.
    okuma-1.jpg

Here is the database for UNLOADED tools. It will bring in the name and height when moved to the magazine.
    okuma-2.jpg

Here is the Siemens tool offset page. Tools that are unloaded will remain in the controller in an unassigned magazine location.
    siemens.jpg
    I am still confused, or I don't see a real difference. If I set up the integrex and tell it it T1 is such and such with xzb offsets/values. It (the machine) uses that data for toolpaths. BUT if I change tool 1 to something else (offline), the machine doesn't *know* that so it is still using data from T1 previous, yes? ?? So... the same thing as having an H and D offset in the offset tables, with the exception you can save 400-500+ tool datas... I guess in your example, one difference, is the machine always reads the tool in spindle, or active tool, vs having someone fat finger a oops T2H2... If I understand that as being a big difference we are doing 2 fundamentally different things then (volume/production/unskilled guys, I dunno..>)...

I guess I would have to see it to get an understanding.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arkansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hey guys, OP here. I've figured out the tool scheme, for the most part. I had to edit the HSM post processor to allow 200 tools, but that was easy enough.

It boils down to 2-99 are magazine-fed tools, of which 2-20 are carbide insert tools, 21-40 are solid carbide end mills, tap drills are ODD, screw clearance drills are EVEN, SF taps are ODD, SP taps are EVEN, et cetera...

#100 is the placeholder for manually changed tools. Each tool (101-199) has its own length offset, called as a G43 H value. I still need to edit the post processor to pause the program at the tool change position at the right time - HSM for Meldas currently totally ignores the manually changed tool setting in the tool library. I have no javascript training so it's a challenge!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

OP. Sorry for derailing this a bit. Sounds like you are on the right path.

Mike,

In your Integrex example, you would take advantage of the tool management system so that every tool has a unique ID. You could set it up like the Okuma pictures. 8 or 6 digit tool numbers, so that you never have two different tools with the same T#.