What's new
What's new

Tool Presetter arm not actuating Daewoo Lathe

Brian@VersaMil

Stainless
A month ago, my tool presetter arm stopped working as in actuating when I pushed the DOWN button. I have a Daewoo Puma 230C lathe, made in 1999, with a Fanuc 21T control. Fortunately this isn't a post ASKING for help, but one offering a solution if anyone ever runs into this problem. The arm is actuated with a parker hannifin hydraulic solenoid, which works perfectly after 19 years. The machine would alarm out, if I tricked the arm into lowering by applying power to the solenoid. the arm would go down and then in five or so seconds set an alarm.

I'm going to skip a lot of info and go right to the solution. My lathe DOES NOT have a parts catcher, but the ladder diagram SHOWED a switch for one, that was blocking my presetter arm from dropping. Of COURSE if the parts catcher was in the way, you don't want the presetter to crash into it. My presetter worked after entering a parts catcher UP command as an M-11 command. So although I've gone 19 years without a parts catcher, it's quite possible in one of my late night, bang out a part by writing a quick program I MAY have commanded an M-10 command, parts catcher DOWN. Being MODAL it was just lurking in my control. I went over a month, not having my tool presetter, and admit how SPOILED I was in just being able to quickly touch off my tools. The FIRST turret load of toolholders, I got a schooling in touching off and measuring, and comping, and keeping track of negative and positive values for internal and external tools. A parts catcher I don't even have, just never entered my mind on this problem.

The M-codes in the Daewoo are not the same in all machines, but the same problem can be caused in other machines entering the parts catcher down M-code, and NOT raising it back up. I can't think that I intended to write an M-01 as that's an M-code I never use. But somehow this M-code made it into my machines control.

Back