What's new
What's new

Tool Recommendation

RMS Machine

Aluminum
Guys, had a project come across my desk that have I have not had to tackle before and need some new tooling.

The part is aluminum (6061) and is about 7" tall with a 4 bolt flange shape lofted to a circle (like a short stubby Christmas Tree)

Some parts are completely vertical and some have varying tapers going up the side.

I would like to machine this in a vertical configuration, stepping down to create the part.

I do not have ANY experience with tooling for machining something this tall. I am used to 1/2" end mill type stuff that is maybe 3" tall at most.

Any help on what to look for tooling wise? I have a HAAS TM2 with CAT40, the part has a minimum radius of 1.25" so maybe something about 2" dia? The bottom has a radius of 0.150" where it transitions to the flat section.

I usually buy with Maritool but the best I can find is a shell mill with a rectangular (APMT type) insert, but can only come up with about 5.5" reach after buying the right holder.

I am stocked with ER32 holders and up to 3/4" side lock holders.

Can you give me a little direction where to look for some tooling?

Thanks,
RMS Machine

I'd look into a solid carbide endmill, as big as you can afford, with a corner rad on it. Thrown in a long side lock or shrink holder. And I would just use a 3d finish strategy and slowly ramp up the part. Find what rpm/feed/steepdown you need to keep chatter away and finish good and let it run. You could even go the route of having something custom made from Ab Tools. They will make steel cutter bodies and braze carbide inserts in and grind whatever features you want for pretty reasonable prices. I got a custom threadmill a month ago, 1 tool (1.5"dia 3fl, carbide tipped, custom thread dimensions. for under 200 bucks.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Back