What's new
What's new

TOOL Selection

Jacob653

Plastic
I have a pre-drill hole that is .625 dia and 1.25 deep. I want to plunge a 11/16 end mill through it(Hole needs to be flat at the bottom) I have 2 tool options.

Either a 2 flute EM 11/16 carbide, 30deg helix, TIN finish or a 4 flute HSS EM 11/16, 35 helix, no coating. The material I'm cutting into is aluminum 6061. I'm leading towards the 2 flute, but worried about the TIN coating. Anybody have any speed/feeds suggestions for the TIN coating.

Thank you.

Here is a link to the coated EM.

https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/71544878?rd=k&tg=Recommendations&tpp=false&searchAhead=true&searchAheadTerm=71544878&typahddsp=71544878&hdrsrh=true

TIN is pretty dated, don't think it will help or hurt either way. Qty? If you don't have much, in aluminum I would just get a generic HSS endmill, 2 flute. I assume if you are plunging its'a a pretty open tolerance? BP/BP clone, cnc...?

I rarely get to play with aluminum but it is my understanding you want to avoid coatings with Al in them. That said I would think TiN would be fine, you want to avoid AlTiN, TiAlN, AlCrN ect.

I have a pre-drill hole that is .625 dia and 1.25 deep. I want to plunge a 11/16 end mill through it(Hole needs to be flat at the bottom) I have 2 tool options.

Either a 2 flute EM 11/16 carbide, 30deg helix, TIN finish or a 4 flute HSS EM 11/16, 35 helix, no coating. The material I'm cutting into is aluminum 6061. I'm leading towards the 2 flute, but worried about the TIN coating. Anybody have any speed/feeds suggestions for the TIN coating.

Thank you.

TiN should buy you some tool life but won’t change the feed and speed much compared to bright.

If you’re using a CNC though... why plunge? Drop a 1/2” EM with 1.25” LOC in the predrilled hole and just spiral out from there?

Back