What's new
What's new

Tool Selection Help

jephw

Aluminum
Good day all.
Please see the attached drawing. I have to recondition this roller. We are having a problem selecting an insert and holder that will work for this. Any suggestions as to how we could do this? The challenge is getting down into the trap and having only a corner radius of the insert at the very bottom. I'm thinking this will have to be a multiple tool job. A custom holder maybe?
Machine we are working with is a Mori Sieki NL3000y. Roller will be mounted to a fixture held in chuck.
Roller material is D2-CT, 59-61 RC. So insert will have to be ceramic. Or CBN?
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20210115_085945.jpg
    20210115_085945.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 103
Nope, not that easy. The holder will hit the walls of the roller before the insert will be at the bottom of the trap. See photos.

Attachments

• 20210115_105237.jpg
    20210115_105237.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 72
  • 20210115_105212.jpg
    20210115_105212.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 67
Blend it with a left and a right hand?
If you need to, you could always kick the tool in the turret a few degrees to get at odd angles.

Blend it with a left and a right hand?
If you need to, you could always kick the tool in the turret a few degrees to get at odd angles.

Second that idea. Also, to OP, you can get different holders for a VNMG insert.

https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/45577681

Not to mention using a thin parting blade, either with a full round, or a custom you could make inhouse if you have a diamond wheel and surface grinder and/or access to WEDM.

This isn't relevant to your problem, but just a heads up on different varieties of holders you can get.

333.jpg

I have given thought to kicking the tool a few degrees and hitting it like that, but since this is will be a recurring job I'm looking more for a solution that will give me consistent setups with consistent results each time. That being said, I suppose I could machine a "V" the required angle so I have consistency every time.
Doesn't matter if its not relevant, good info. Thanks!

but since this is will be a recurring job I'm looking more for a solution that will give me consistent setups with consistent results each time.
Buy a new tool holder, mill the old one on the angle you need, save it for that job and then it will be consistent.

I use these in my swiss machines but it may work for your application. Scroll down to the "back turning" inserts. You can be turning in Z, stop, plunge in X for a sharp corner BEHIND the insert, and then proceed along in Z again. So in your photos you would go bottom to top, with the "sharp" edge of the insert on the bottom. That being said, I am often wrong!

Good luck!

https://www.iscar.com/newarticles.aspx/countryid/1/newarticleid/2833

https://youtu.be/C9iuWGW7ab8

I can see this type of insert working, but as I see it its not available in ceramic. Thanks for the suggestion, got another project I might use this style of insert.

Back