What's new
What's new

Tool turret problem emcoturn 325 \ fanuc 21-TB \ sauter 408 - alarm 1024

Lumberjack

Hot Rolled
Hi guys,

Got this 1998 emcoturn 325 running fanuc 21 - tb.

When cycling the turret i get alarm 1024 — tool turret position monitoring.
Cant reset or clear it. Rebooting machine does however work clearing the alarm.

Anyone with tips / ideas?

Sounds like there's a prox switch that tells the control the turret is in place, and it's not getting tripped? Just a guess.

Yah, or a bit too late maybe?
Am a bit new with both cnc and this machine so really happy for any good clues.

There is also an encoder for position. Sauter and Emco should have documentation for aligning it. I've also read that oil can get into the encoder and cause trouble.

Thanks,

Yah, yesterday it also threw a 1028 alarm and just left the turret un-locked and freespinning.

I found some other thread here with some instructions from CNCMEK (he´s not been around here for almost a decade) and parts of the manual.
Sauter turret overruns in one direction

what I´ve gathered so far is basically, oil and dirt on the sensors might cause the 1024, loose encoder the 1028. I think I can negotiate the mechanical work on the turret but I´m a bit puzzled as to what to look for in the ladder while doing so.

If the builder put comments on the PMC status page, you could just look at the X bits and find the turret bits. Usually you have clamp and unclamp, and a series of counting bits. Some times there is a strobe bit as well.
Is this hydraulic or servo driven?

PMC status page, that one I need to look at. Mainly looked in the ladder.

It´s an electric turret, three phase motor.

Two sensor, one detecting a pre-indexing bolt and the other one checking tool turret lock.
Then there is the encoder which indeed transmits a strobe signal.

Unfortunatley the manual I have for it is complete with exeption for, wait for it, the function diagram and wiring schematics :)

I have a 325 EmcoTurn and I'll get a 1024 alarm from time to time. Usually, it's caused by a wad of stringy chips getting between one of the tools and the sheet metal.

To clear it, press the AUX and Turret Rotate buttons.

JJ80909, Thanks, ill try that first thing tonight!
Dirt is definitevly a suspect, i was planing for a clean when also the 1028 hit me.

What is your experience with the machine in general? They are rather common on the shop floors over here (325 and siblings) but not a lot to find online.

Our 325 has been very reliable except for the plastic tubing used for the collet closer, parts catcher, etc...the tubing has gotten very brittle over the years.

One of these days, I'm planning on replacing all the tubing with new stuff...but., like everything else, it's on the "to do" list :)

That's nice to hear. It seems like a decent lathe with robust design in general.
Seems like I will have take a deep breath and dive deeper.
Called three local well renowned cnc-tech companies. None had time, although they were willing to look at it. Sometime.

I did try to clear the alarm with aux and turret Button, worked well but the alarms come back instantly.

I will clean it up a bit and remove the covers for starters and do a visual inspection to start with.

...I will clean it up a bit and remove the covers for starters and do a visual inspection to start with.
When my lathe does that it's the prox sensor on the turret rotation. Coolant works it's way in and saturates the sensor. I've replaced it twice in 13 years and keep a spare on hand.

Thanks, i will get a qoute for it, or just get it if not crazy priced. I have a test instr for it however it is my experience they can be real culprits and troublesome to test with certainty.

Thanks, i will get a qoute for it, or just get it if not crazy priced. I have a test instr for it however it is my experience they can be real culprits and troublesome to test with certainty.
Prox sensors aren't pricey- I think I spend about $50 for them through McMaster.

I don't know how you lathe is- mine the sensor mounts on a bracket. The sensing range is only 3mm, and you don't want it to hit the cam when it rotates. I take the bracket off with the sensor in place, and take it to the inspection plate. I measure the position of the sensor relative to the bracket and mount the new one in the same spot. That way when I put it back in the machine it's all in the right place.

I've never had to reset anything in the control- just replace the sensor and go back to work.

Back