What's new
What's new

Toolchanger in weird mode DMG DMC103V 840D Control

markp

Hot Rolled
My DMU103V is stuck in some weird mode with the toolchanger. Running a program, tool was being placed back in the umbrella and it didnt release correctly. I manually moved the umbrella back by cutting the air pressure, then grabbed the tool when it was unstuck on the umbrella. Now the yellow and purple toolchanger error lights are lit. AFAIK the recovery procedure is to clear the errors in diagnosis, go to manual Deckel/Maho mode, go to toolchanger pane and move the umbrella back and forth till the yellow or purple light quit blinking. Cant clear the errors though.

Im stuck in some mode where those yellow purple buttons dont do anything because I cant clear the two toolchanger errors. Also, in deckel/maho manual mode, the page for moving the umbrella shows a tool position of #5, even though the spindle had tool #4 in the spindle when this happened.

I was thinking I could reference everything but when I try to do that the umbrella slams forward like its trying to complete the tool change.

I reset the NCK but to no avail. I see a few references online on how to clear a toolchanger error on a DMC103V but nowhere is the successful procedure explained. Anyone happen to know? Maybe I need to reload the PLC and NCK?

Attachments

• IMG_5736.jpg
    IMG_5736.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
your dealing with builder code. sounds like something a out of order, prox sensor not being seen.
I don't think a plc reset will do you good. I'm sure there's a recovery procedure, but from your
previous posts it sounds like dmg is just going to want to send a tech out. but I did find this

1. Jog mode
2. Area switchover
3. Softkey 7 deckel maho
4. Softkey 7 manual operation
5. Softkey 1 tool change
6. With the keys yellow or violet, the tool changer can be moved. If it doesn't move after poking these,
7. Ref the axis. And all should work.

This is what I did... and I've no more tool changer hangup.

I have that procedure. It doesnt work as I cant move the tool umbrella until the axis are referenced and I cant reference until the weird state problem is resolved.

I think I found the original problem. The air cylinder has hydraulic bumpers on each end of the travel. These seem to be shot as they only start to work once they are about 70% compressed. They also look a little wet at the ends. I think that allowed the tool changer to bounce, giving double position signals and that set off the problem. I think theres no other issue.

I believe on the 840d all the info about the machine state resets once you reload the PLC and NC archives, including anything related to the tool changer. Can anyone confirm?

can you power the machine down and pull the umbrella out to a change position or if you can see the prox put a screw driver to trick it?

I tried that but you need to shut the door and engage the servos to do anything and as soon as you do that, the tool changer umbrella moves to the spindle and the yellow and purple buttons dont do anything, probably because it sees that the umbrella is at the spindle and that would be bad.

Im going to try disconnecting the air cylinder mechanically from the tool arm and see if I can get past that problem.

do you have the wiring diagram? also wondering if something in the drawbar is hung up not hitting a prox.
I've also had prox light up but not giving the signal (rare but i've had it happen). but if you have the diagram
it should list like e26.3 or something like that. If you go into the plc status (may have to set sunrise)
you can type in those labels for the prox's and see if the plc is actually seeing the status.

Ok heres the solution. You can only recover from a partial toolchange by first removing ALL of the tools in the tool umbrella. Once they are all out, the machine is still trying to make the toolchange so the spindle is inside the tool umbrella cover. Now you can go to manual pane, and use the yellow/purple keys to move the toolchanger back to 0. Once you do that, you can reference the machine.

After that, you still have the tool (T4 for me), stuck at toolchange, even though its not in the spindle. To clear that, you have to do an T0 M6 command in MDI to put the invisible tool away.

The problem ended up being an error during the commissioning of the machine, a small plate that passes over the two prox switches on the tool changer lever arm was biased too far (or made too short)in one direction by about .2". This caused the tool change error due to switch bounce. I made a longer plate and also ordered two new bumpers that I found on ebay. Works ok now. What a pain!!

BTW, I did call DMG and they didnt have a clue about what to do other than the recovery that is in the manual which only relates to recovery AFTER a toolchange is completed!

I got around to replacing the old hydraulic bumpers. They only had dampening for the last .3" or so of the 1.25" travel. No adjustment. This machine only had 180 hrs when I got it last nov but sat unused for 18 years so I guess the oil leaked out. I think regular use maybe makes them last longer?

The drop in replacements were Enidine OEM-1.25X1 FP 4858. The Enidine are adjustable dampening units. I got these on ebay new for 30$ each. No ring nuts so I had to make them.

The tool changer position is adjusted by the rod thread on the cylinder so you only have to make sure that the dampeners dont bottom out when the cylinder is all the way in or out.

Tool changes used to rock the whole machine enclosure and op station, but now are much smoother. Ive only owned one other air operated umbrella tool changer machine and I dont recall if it had bumpers. I think it used needle valves in the cylinder to cushion. Anyway, check your bumpers if you have them. On these DMG machines the limit sensor bounce that can happen if the bumpers are bad can cause real headaches with the PLC logic.

Attachments

• bumpers.jpg
    bumpers.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 53
  • bumpers2.jpg
    bumpers2.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 39

Back