What's new
What's new

Which toolholder long stickout

tcncj

Cast Iron
Hello

Which toolholder is recommended?
I'm in search for a holder to hold 25mm carbide shanks with long stickout (+/- 150mm) for screw in insert cutters (some high feed stuff).
My tooling rep recommends NT Tool milling chucks. But they have a pretty long gauge length?
Are there better options?

As I recall, you're using a small Hurco right?

As such, you should really avoid milling chucks altogether, on a 40 taper the gauge length completely negates any benefit they provide.

Most screw in tool manufacturers also sell integrated arbours. Try and get one of those as the first option.

If you absolutely must use the carbide shank, the shortest gauge length hydraulic chuck or ER40 holder that you can find.

As I recall, you're using a small Hurco right?

As such, you should really avoid milling chucks altogether, on a 40 taper the gauge length completely negates any benefit they provide.

Most screw in tool manufacturers also sell integrated arbours. Try and get one of those as the first option.

If you absolutely must use the carbide shank, the shortest gauge length hydraulic chuck or ER40 holder that you can find.
100% correct
Milling chucks are huge. My little Hurco won't be happy with that and such a long stickout.
Yeah I must use the carbide shank. A steel shank arbor won't do it.

I think he wants to sell me this one: Super Tite-Lock Milling Chuck|NT Tool Corporation Home Page
It's quite smaller and less gauge length

High feed cutters put cutting force mostly in the axial direction, so gauge length is less of an issue.

They're also less affected by runout and don't require massive gripping force.

I'd use a Maritool ER40.

Back