What's new
What's new

Tooling for drilling PCD(bolt pattern) on wheels

jaykohens

Plastic
Hi guys
Trying to find some better tooling for drilling PCDs on blank wheels. Currently we are using a combination of a smaller endmill to create the hole for the stud, larger endmill to create a path for a countersink, and a countersink to create the lug seat. We then press a steel insert in at the correct PCD.

I'm looking to speed this process up for blank wheels by removing the insert, and just using the countersink to create the seat.

I've seen a few shops using an all in one tool to do this operation in one step, but obviously they're not interested in sharing that information.

I found this tool floating around this forum and it looks like what I need, can anyone point me in the direction of who makes this tool, or at the very least someone who has the ability to make custom tooling(local to southern ca preferred).
133252d1426009304-help-does-anyone-have-experience-drilling-lug-patterns-rims-20150310_103327.jpg

Thanks!

Thanks for the mention Limy. This looks like a very simple tool. If you give me some dimensions we can get you a quote pretty quick.

Once you have it made it is easy to resharpen. Sending the job out to be made then it is good to have two made so one can be sharp and the other out for sharpening.
Having a multi tool it is good to slow down a tad to better preserve the tool.
Yes you are still making better time even with better treating the cutter.

Altered standard is most often better than making form scratch.. So when designing a special cutter ask if it can be an altered standard.

QT:[(local to southern ca preferred). UPS is so fast it doesn't matter much where the sharpener is.

How much time are you looking to save? Using separate tools, done correctly on a fast machine, this is ballpark a 1 minute operation. Maybe 2 minutes to get really nice finishes and fully chamfered edges.

What kind of a machine are you running? How long is your current operation taking? Why is the thru-hole being cut with an endmill rather than a drill? How are you handling the top chamfer, the inside chamfer, and the back chamfer?

I don't think a custom tool is the answer here.

Back